MINUTES OF A MEETING OF PURLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL,

HELD IN THE WELLS PAVILION, HOWE GREEN ROAD

ON FRIDAY, 14th FEBRUARY 2020 AT 7.00 P.M.

 

Members present: Mr. G. Rayner (Chairman), Mr. C. Ash, Mr. S. Bardwell, Mr. B. Oliver, Mr. S. Potter and Mr. G. Strathern.

 

Also in attendance: Mrs. Jane Potter (Clerk).

 

Jane Fleming (District Council Ward Member) attended part of the meeting.

 

1/02/20 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

 

Apologies were received from Mr. N. Arthur who was unable to attend the meeting due to a prior personal commitment. Mrs. Penny Channer (County Council Ward Member) and Mrs. Sue White (District Council Ward Member) also sent their apologies as they were unable to attend due to prior personal and civic engagements.

 

Jane Fleming (District Council Ward Member) sent her apologies as she would be delayed. It was agreed to postpone discussion of Agenda item 6/02/20 ‘Parking in Westerings and surrounding area’ until she arrived at the meeting.

 

2/02/20 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATIONS (Localism Act 2011)

 

There were no new declarations of interest made, nor were there any applications for dispensations from the provisions of the Localism Act 2011.

 

3/02/20 THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF PURLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 10TH JANUARY 2020 having been circulated to all Members, were approved, and signed by the Chairman.

 

4/02/20 TO DISCUSS ANY MATTERS OF INFORMATION ARISING FROM THOSE MINUTES:

 

4.1/02/20 Clerk: The Clerk did not have any matters arising from the January 2020 Parish Council meeting to report to Members.

 

4.2/02/20 Members’: Members did not have any matters arising from the January meeting to discuss.

 

5/02/20 PLANNING MATTERS

 

5.1/02/20 Decisions taken between meetings: Members noted that the Parish Council had not made any recommendations on planning applications to Maldon District Council between meetings.

 

5.2/02/20 Current applications: HOUSE/MAL/20/00064 Single storey orangery to rear. Orchard House, Cold Norton Road.

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

FUL/MAL/20/00072 S73A Application for the variation of condition 2 on approved planning permission 19/00435/FUL (Proposed single storey office extension and attached secure storage building.) The Barn, Fambridge Road.

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

HOUSE/MAL/20/00052; LBC/MAL/20/00053 Demolition of porch and garden shed and erection of single storey rear extension. Mill House, Mill Lane.

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

 

5.3/02/20 Notification of appeals:

 

Appeal Refs

Appeal A: APP/X1545/C/19/3224453

Appeal B: APP/X1545/C/19/3224454

Proposal: Appeals against an Enforcement Notice issued by Maldon District Council.

Address:Field NW of Mosklyns Farm, Chelmsford Road.

 

Members noted that Appeal A had been ALLOWED, the Enforcement Notice quashed and planning permission granted, subject to the terms set out in the Inspector’s formal decision. No further action was taken on Appeal B.

 

A full copy of the Inspector’s decision was placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

5.4/02/20 Maldon District Council planning decisions: Members noted that Maldon District Council had APPROVED the following planning applications:

 

  • TCA/MAL/19/01046 T1 Silver Birch – removal. T2 Bay and Magnolia – Removal. T3 Magnolia – Removal. The Old Rectory, Church Hill.

  • AGR/MAL/19/01327 Notification of prior approval for a new agricultural storage barn. Purleigh Barns, Cold Norton Road.

  • LBC/MAL/19/01196 Replacement of a double window with patio doors and internal alterations. The Old Bakery, The Street.

  • FUL/MAL/19/01141 Material change of use of land resulting in the extension of residential garden to the property known as Cox-Leighs.

 

And had REFUSED planning permission for the following development:

 

  • COUPA/MAL/19/01162 Variation on condition 1 & 2 approved planning permission COUPA/MAL/15/0196 Change of use of two existing barns from agricultural to dwelling houses. Barns adjacent to Mosklyns Farm.

  • COUPA/MAL/19/01304 Application for notification for prior approval for a proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwelling house (Class C3), and for associated operational development. Barn at Lower Barn Farm Roundbush Road.

 

5.5/02/20 Other Planning Matters: North Quay Development Brief; Draft Supplementary Planning Document (SPD), Maldon District Council: Members noted that Policy S5 of the Maldon District Local Development Plan set out the key projects for the Maldon & Heybridge Central Area Masterplan SPD. 

 

The adopted Masterplan had eighteen key projects and a project priority programme which aimed to deliver economic growth and environmental enhancements over the next nine years to 2029, including a development and regeneration strategy for the North Quay, Fullbridge, Maldon.

 

This North Quay Development Brief draft SPD met Policy S5 and Masterplan objectives to: Improve connectivity for walking and cycling; identify development opportunities to realise new Use Class B employment space; create new jobs, and give access to and stimulate growth at the River Chelmer and Heybridge Creek frontages.

 

The draft North Quay Development Brief had been prepared to inform applicants and developers of the identified opportunities and known constraints to regenerate the North Quay defined area and to enable informed and consistent decisions to be made by the District Council.

 

Members noted that consultation on the draft North Quay Development Brief had commenced on 10th February 2020 and would last for six weeks, with any comments required by 5.00 p.m. on 20th March 2020.

 

It was noted that the consultation document and the online consultation form were available at: www.maldon.gov.uk/northquay. 

 

It was agreed to put this item on the Agenda of the March Parish Council meeting, once Members had had the opportunity to study the draft SPD.

 

Dengie Hundred Group of Parish Councils – Planning training: Members noted that at the Dengie Hundred Group of Parish Councils meeting held on 15th January 2020, Matt Leigh (Lead, Specialist Place, Maldon District Council) had informed attendees that training on planning matters could be provided by the District Council.

If Parish Councils wished to take advantage of this opportunity the Dengie Hundred Group was happy to liaise with Mr. Leigh on its members’ behalf.

Whilst appreciative of the offer, the Parish Council did not wish to receive training at this time.

 

6/02/20 HIGHWAY MATTERS

 

6.1/02/20 Parking in Westerings and surrounding area: It was agreed to defer discussion of this Agenda item until Cllr. Fleming joined the meeting. The matter was discussed after Agenda item 7.2/02/20.

6.2/02/20 Other highway matters: Pot Holes and carriageway defects in the parish: Members noted that between meetings the Parish Council had reported the following highway defects to Essex County Council:

 

  • Maldon Road: Highway drainage issues (Ref: 2648369.)

  • Burnham Road: Carriageway defects (Ref: 2649418.)

  • Hackmans Lane: Vegetation obscuring signage (Ref: 2649416.)

 

Essex County Council had advised that all the above issues were not as serious as many others it had been made aware of, so the department would not be taking any further action at this juncture.

 

It was agreed to report the following highway matters to Essex County Council:

 

  • Pot hole outside Spar Hill Farm, Chelmsford Road.

  • Pot hole outside Brooklea, Cold Norton Road.

  • Fallen tree on the bridleway in Kent Wood.

 

A12 Chelmsford to A120 Widening Scheme: Members noted that Leonie Alpin (Specialist Local Plan, Strategy, Performance and Governance, Maldon District Council had written to the Parish Council explaining that in October, Highways England had made the Preferred Route Announcement (PRA) for the A12 widening scheme for junctions 19 to 23, and consulted on alternative route alignments for Junctions 23 to 25. 

 

The District Council had been asked if Members and Parish Councils would like to have a meeting with Jacobs, who were working with Highways England to develop the A12 scheme, to discuss any comments on the PRA and the next steps in progressing the scheme.   

 

The District Council needed to know by Monday, 24th February if the Parish council would like to send a representative to the meeting.

 

The Parish Council did not wish to send a representative to this meeting.

 

Automatic traffic count results; Hackmans Lane: Members noted that the Parish Council had received a copy of the results of the traffic count carried out in November 2019, as follows.

 

Northern Survey:

The survey had been undertaken approximately 80m south of the junction with Birchwood Road, between 9th November 2019 and 15th November 2019, within the posted 30mph speed limit.

 

Northbound

With a total of 13,136 vehicles counted across 7 days the Average Daily Speed had been recorded at 31.6mph.

 

Southbound

With a total of 12,035 vehicles counted across 7 days the Average Daily Speed had been recorded at 33.2mph.

 

Southern Survey:

The survey had been undertaken approximately 45m south of the 30mph terminal signage, between 9th November 2019 and 15th November 2019 within the 60mph speed limit.

 

Northbound

With a total of 12,814 vehicles counted across 7 days the Average Daily Speed had been recorded at 35.7mph.

 

Southbound

With a total of 11,584 vehicles counted across 7 days the Average Daily Speed had been recorded at 36.8mph.

 

A copy of all the data was placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

7/02/20 PLAYING FIELD AND OPEN SPACES

 

7.1/02/20 Children’s play area: Monthly report: Mr. Ash reported that he had carried out his weekly inspections of the Children’s Play Area and that all items of play equipment that he could access appeared to be in a satisfactory condition.

 

The new equipment in the fenced area remained closed to the public however, as remedial work was still required to the surface. This work couldn’t be satisfactorily carried out though until the weather had improved and the ground had dried out. The safety surface beneath all the new equipment was also causing concern due to its unevenness, probably caused by soil settlement and needed levelling, and as a result the Parish Council wasn’t yet able to release the retained 5% of monies owing to Broxap Ltd.

 

Members noted that Mr. Ash had noted the details of Hand Made Places at Broxap’s inspection and maintenance schedule for the new play equipment and had very kindly agreed to carry out the required three monthly operational inspections and to record his findings.

 

The Parish Council also expressed concern about the BT site adjacent to the playing field which was becoming an eyesore.

 

7.2/02/20 To set the letting fees for the pavilion and associated facilities 2020/2021: The Parish Council gave careful consideration to a detailed breakdown of income from, and expenditure on, the pavilion and playing field up to 31st January 2020, together with estimated income and expenditure for 2019/2020 and 2020/2021.

Members noted that during 2019/2020 expenditure on the pavilion and playing field was expected to exceed the income derived from them by the sum of £1,202.05 and that if letting fees remained at their current levels, expenditure on the facilities was expected to exceed the income derived from them by the sum of £3,526.00 during 2020/2021. Members noted that if the cost of grass cutting, work to trees and insurance were included in the calculation of expenditure, the anticipated deficit in 2019/2020 would be approximately £5,420.00.

 

The Parish Council then gave careful consideration to the cost of providing the facilities and to the individual needs of each user group.

 

The Parish Council confirmed its commitment to subsidising the pavilion and playing field to a certain extent, so that as many local clubs and organisations as possible could use them. Members also acknowledged however that they had a duty to minimise the expense levied on those parishioners who did not use the facilities.

 

After due consideration the Parish Council agreed that the letting fees for the Pavilion 2020/2021 should be as follows: 

 

Regular Bookings

 

FOPC: The rate for the hire of the pavilion on one Saturday evening and the following Sunday morning to prepare for and hold the annual plant sale remain £50.00.

 

Purleigh Croquet Club: The rates for Purleigh Croquet Club remain £6.50 per hour (hire of the pavilion from Mid-April to Mid-October for approximately three to four hours per week).

 

Whist Drive: The rates for the Whist Drive remain £6.50 per hour (hire of pavilion for approximately 2 hours every Monday evening).

 

Purleigh Old People’s Housing Association: The rates for Purleigh Old People’s Housing Association remain £6.50 per hour (hire of pavilion for approximately two hours on the fourth Friday of every other month).

 

Purleigh Playing Field Association (PPFA): It was agreed not to charge the PPFA in 2020/2021 for the hire of the pavilion to hold committee meetings in recognition of its fundraising efforts (12 evening meetings on the fourth Thursday of each month). This arrangement would however continue to be reviewed along with all the other hiring charges on an annual basis.

 

The fees for the PPFA to hold coffee mornings on the third Thursday of the month remain £6.50 per hour.

 

Table-tennis club: The fees for the table tennis club remain £6.50 per hour (hire of the pavilion on the first and third Thursday evenings of each month).

 

U3A Aviation group: The fees for the U3A aviation group would remain £25 per session (hire of the pavilion on the third Tuesday afternoon in the month).

Kalma: The fees for Kalma remain £7.50 per hour (hire of the pavilion on Wednesday evenings plus some Saturdays).

 

Block Bookings

 

Purleigh Cricket Club: It was agreed that the fees for Purleigh Cricket Club for the 2020 season remain £800 for the 2020 season which worked out at approximately £42 per match based on the club’s anticipated usage.

 

South Woodham Ferrers Cricket Club: It was agreed that the fees for South Woodham Ferrers Cricket Club for the 2020 season remain £60 per match (hire of the facilities for approximately 8 fixtures on Saturdays between May and September as agreed with Purleigh Cricket Club.)

 

Cold Norton Football Club: It was agreed to charge Cold Norton Football Club the sum of £640 for the 2020/2021 season.

 

Occasional Hire: It was agreed to charge hirers the sum of £30 for the use of the facilities for a whole morning or afternoon and £20 for the hire of the hall for a whole evening. If hirers wished to use the facilities for two such periods (e.g. morning and afternoon or afternoon and evening etc.) they would be charged a flat fee of £50.

 

Cllr. Fleming joined the meeting at this juncture and, as agreed, Members returned to the deferred Agenda item 6.1/02/20 (see above.)

 

6/02/20 HIGHWAY MATTERS

 

6.1/02/20 Parking in Westerings and surrounding area: Members were reminded that at the January 2020 Parish Council meeting the following had been agreed (Minute 6.1/01/20):

 

Action:

  1. To work with Cllr. Fleming to establish a working party to consider ways of improving the parking situation near to the school, comprising local government members and relevant officers, residents living near to the school, representatives of the wider parent body and the school, drawing on external expertise if, and when, necessary.

  2. Having prepared a case and taken appropriate advice, with the help of Cllr. Fleming to consider asking Essex County Council to compulsorily purchase a one metre strip of land (or the minimum necessary requirement) to create a footpath around the edge of the field behind the village hall’s land to link the village hall with the Westerings, to provide a safe and short route from the village hall to the school. The footpath would need to be fenced and surfaced (with road planings or Breeden gravel), and the existing village hall car park would need to be greatly extended.

  3. Mr. Bardwell agreed to lend his technical expertise.

  4. To identify the Trustees of the Village Hall and work with them and its Management Committee with a view to achieving the above.

  5. To pursue relevant funding opportunities and apply for grants where appropriate.

 

Since the last meeting, the school had written to parents explaining the situation and had asked them to park with courtesy and consideration and Community Engagement Officers had increased their visits to the area to try to discourage irresponsible and illegal parking. The Parish Council had also been provided with a list of Village Hall Trustees and Management Committee members, who remained committed to working with the School and the Parish Council to improve parking in the vicinity of the school during peak times.

 

Formation of Working Party

Members considered various options for the formation of a working party including:

 

One possible composition:

Jane Fleming (District Council Ward Member)

 

With one or two representatives from the following:

  • Purleigh Parish Council

  • Purleigh Village Hall Management Committee

  • Purleigh Community Primary School staff

  • Purleigh Community Primary School parent body (excluding affected residents)

  • Residents

 

Ad hoc attendees could also include:

  • Penny Channer (Essex County Council Ward Member)

  • Adrian Rayner (Head of Community Protection Team, Maldon District Council and Lead Officer responsible for liaising with the South Essex Parking Partnership (SEPP))

  • Thomas Eng (Essex County Council’s Liaison Officer to the Local Highways Panel)

 

It was felt however, that this number of members may make for an ineffective working party, so Members considered establishing a smaller Parish Council led group to specifically tackle the issue of creating a new footpath, leaving the larger working party to consider all the other ways to improve parking around the school.

 

Cllr. Fleming supported this two group approach and suggested either quarterly meetings of the larger group to take place on 9th March, 9th June, 9th September and 9th December, or one meeting to be held every other month in March, May, July, September and November.

 

Mr. Stotter (Headteacher, Purleigh Community Primary School) had also informed Members that any time the Parish Council wanted to get the action group underway, the school was ready. He had parents who had made useful suggestions and were willing to be part of the process and the school would be willing to host the meetings.

 

Having discussed the difficulties associated with compulsory purchase orders it was agreed to explore other options at Parish Council meetings, rather than establishing a smaller Parish Council led group.

 

It was also agreed that the Clerk would liaise with the school and Cllr. Fleming to try to arrange the first working party meeting to take place on Monday, 9th March 2020. Mr. Bardwell and Mr. Strathern would represent the Parish Council and representatives from the Village Hall Management Committee, residents and the wider parent body would be invited to attend.

 

Cllr. Fleming would also consult with Adrian Rayner about other possible measures to encourage parking further away from the school.

 

Members understood that the support of the community (parents and parishioners) was vital to achieve sustainable solutions to the parking problem and get grants.

 

The Parish Council then returned to the published Agenda.

 

7/02/20 PLAYING FIELD AND OPEN SPACES

 

7/3/02/20 Notice Board – Farther Howe Green: Notice boards: Members noted that for Harry Stebbing Workshop to provide the new notice board for Farther Howe Green after 1st April 2020, the company needed to know the dimensions of the existing posts. As these were out of alignment and their measurements may consequently be inaccurate it was agreed to ask S.P. Bardwell Ltd to remove the existing notice board and concrete posts, install two new posts a similar distance apart and relay the concrete slabs between the posts and the road.

 

7.4/02/20 Other playing field and open space matters: Replacement hot water cylinder: Members noted that between meetings the Parish Council had accepted G.B. Plumbing’s quotation for a replacement hot water cylinder at the pavilion in the sum of £331.35.

 

Car Boot Sale: Members noted that the Friends of Purleigh Church had written to the Parish Council asking for permission to hold a car boot sale on the playing field at the same time as the next annual plant sale (i.e. on Sunday, 3rd May 2020) to try to boost the event’s fundraising potential.

 

It was agreed that FOPC could expand their event by including a boot sale, as proposed.

 

Damage caused by storm Ciara on Sunday 9th and Monday 10th February 2020: Members noted that during the storm, a dead horse chestnut tree belonging to The Old Rectory had been brought down blocking Rigby’s Path, breaking the commemorative bench and damaging property belonging to nearby residential properties. In the interests of public safety the Parish Council had asked A. J. Macmorland Farming Partnership to clear the path of debris.

 

In compliance with the Parish Council’s tree maintenance policy, a visual inspection of the Parish Council’s tree stock had been carried out by Mr. Bardwell, Mr. Potter and Mr. Strathern on Thursday 13th February 2020, all of which appeared to be in a satisfactory condition.

 

It was agreed to write to the property owners requesting their insurance details so that the bench which was given to the Parish Council in 1991 to commemorate 200 years of Ordnance Survey could be repaired or replaced.

 

8/02/20 PARISH COUNCIL WEBSITE AND ACCESSIBILITY REGULATIONS COMPLIANCE

 

Members noted that as agreed at the January meeting (Minute 8/01/20) the Parish Council had contacted TEEC and Mallorn with a view to creating a Website Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) compliant website by the September deadline.

 

Details of both company’s proposals and estimated costs were noted by the Parish Council, as was the analysis of them by Mr. Rapley (the Parish Council’s webmaster.)

 

Members noted that Mallorn proposed something very similar to those existing Parish Council websites the company had already created (e.g. Mayland, South Hanningfield), which were easy to navigate but ‘branded’ to differentiate. Suggested layouts would be forwarded for the Parish Council to review. The Parish Council’s current ‘essexinfo’ website comprised over thirty pages and some four years of meeting archives, which would take considerable time and effort to migrate at an as yet unknown cost:

 

Mallorn’s proposal included:

 

  • Transferring the current domain name – such as www.purleigh.com or redirecting from that domain if it proved overly troublesome.

  • The creation of a Parish Council website, similar to those Mallorn had created in the past, including migration of all content from the existing ‘essexinfo’ website, including event calendar.

  • Facebook and Twitter feeds into the website and links to the Facebook page.

  • Web hosting for 12 months at a high availability, secure, web-host, and basic (email) support.

  • Support responses – outside notified vacations – would normally be within 48 hours.

  • A basic ‘how to maintain your website content’ guide and two hours instruction at the Parish Council’s office.

  • The price did not include any photographs or graphic work beyond those on the existing ‘essexinfo’ site, any additional graphics and/or photographs would need to be provided.

  • As a result of the significant content to be migrated, the ‘all in’ cost for the first 12 months would be £495, payable on publication of the website and migration of the existing content.

  • After the initial 12 months, the annual cost of renewal would be £120 per annum, payable in advance, on the agreed anniversary of the site’s publication.

 

Members noted that TEEC had provided the following information, together with a 14 page proposal for Members’ consideration:

 

In brief their base packages started at £10 per month once loaded onto the template. The next package would cost £20 per month as it offered more email addresses and provided monthly analytics reports.

 

TEEC recommended however that the Parish Council took out its £30 a month package which included Virtual Clerk Support (30 mins) which was normally enough to bridge any gap between what the clerk could do herself and ensuring that everything was kept up to date. The website https://myparishcouncil.co.uk/prices showed typical packages.

 

Members noted that having reviewed the various options submitted by a range of companies, Mr. Rapley believed the proposal by TEEC should meet the Parish Council’s requirements and should enable it to meet other compliance standards as they became defined.

 

Mr. Rapley was satisfied that the template for the website, associated additional functions, compliance capabilities and TEEC’s hosting service should meet Members’ requirements and suggested their standard package of £20 per month with the £30 per month hosting service, which he considered reasonable for the level of service the Parish Council required. The cost was more than it was currently paying however. This package had an annual cost of £600 and the website would need to be maintained in-house.

 

It provided up to 10 email addresses which would allow each Councillor and the Clerk to have a specific email address based on purleigh.com, redirected to the clerk’s email address. That is, 'parish.clerk@purleigh.com' would be redirected to 'jane.m.potter@btinternet.com' and so on for each Councillor. Alternatively, the email addressing could be used by clubs or organisations within the village.

 

There would be a one-off cost of £220 to migrate the existing website to TEEC’s host.

 

 

Cost summary

 

Software cost per annum

£240.00

Hosting services                 £360

 

Migration                            £220

 

Total for first year

£820.00

 

 

It was agreed to accept TEEC’s proposal that the Parish Council took out its £30 a month package which included Virtual Clerk Support.

 

9/02/20 TO DETERMINE THE AGENDA OF THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING to be held on Thursday, 23rd April 2020

 

Members considered the Agenda of last year’s Annual Parish Meeting and agreed to invite representatives of the following organisations to deliver a brief résumé of their activities during the last twelve months.

 

It was agreed to divide the Agenda items into Reports and updates as follows:

 

Reports:

  • Purleigh Parish Council

  • Maldon District Council

  • Essex County Council

  • Purleigh Educational Foundation

 

Updates:

  • Purleigh Community Shop

  • Purleigh Playing Field Association

  • Purleigh Community Primary School

  • Purleigh Community Fund

 

10/02/20 ALLOTMENT MATTERS

 

10.1/02/20 To receive notice of a vacant allotment: Members noted that Allotment Plot 6 was now vacant, due to the ill health of its tenant and that currently there wasn’t anybody on the waiting list.

 

It was agreed to advertise the vacant allotment in the Parish Magazine and write to the Maldon Allotment Society advising them that Purleigh had one vacant allotment to rent.

 

10.2/02/10 Other allotment matters: Mr. Bardwell reported that the water meter at the allotments appeared to be working properly and no leaks were detected.

 

11/02/2020 FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

11.1/02/20 Internal audit for the period 1st April 2019 to 31st December 2020: Members noted that the Chairman had conducted the audit at 9.00 a.m. on Tuesday, 14th January 2020.

 

During the audit, the Chairman had checked statements of balances submitted to the Council against its bank statements and transaction books and had carried out a bank reconciliation. He had also inspected the petty cash book, VAT and PAYE records and other subsidiary accounting records as he had seen fit, in accordance with the Parish Council’s internal audit procedure.

 

There had been no matters arising from the audit to report to the Parish Council.

 

11.2/02/20 To receive a report of receipts: Members received a report of the following receipts:

 

 

Kalma

Pavilion hire: October to December 2019

£95.50

Table-Tennis Club

Pavilion hire: October to December 2019

£78.00

Maldon District Council

Hire of the pavilion as a Polling Station

£225.00

Cold Norton Football Club

Hire of the pavilion for the 2019/2020 season

£640.00

H.M. Revenue & Customs

VAT Refund (1st October to 31st December 2019)

£6,272.67

 

 

£7,311.17

 

 

 

11.3/02/20 To approve payment of accounts between meetings: Members noted and approved that the following accounts had been paid between meetings, adhering strictly to the procedures outlined in the Parish Council’s Financial Regulation 5.5.

 

E-On

Electricity - Pavilion

£215.76

 

 

VAT

£10.79

£226.55

 

 

 

 

Maldon District Council

Community Protection Services

 

 

 

(July – September 2019)

£243.30

 

 

VAT

£48.66

 

 

 

£291.96

 

 

 

 

 

Maldon District Council

Community Protection Services

 

 

 

(October – December 2019)

£243.30

 

 

VAT

£48.66

 

 

 

£291.96

 

 

 

 

£583.92

 

 

 

£810.47

 

 

11.4/02/20 To approve payment of accounts to hand and transfers between bank accounts:

 

Mrs. Jane Potter

Salary – January 2020

£1,311.00

 

 

Less tax

£38.60

 

 

National Insurance

£71.04

 

 

And Pension Contributions

£76.04

 

 

 

 

£1,125.32

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

H.M. Revenue & Customs

Tax

£38.60

 

 

National Insurance (employees)

£71.04

 

 

National insurance (employers)

£81.70

 

 

 

 

£191.34

 

 

 

 

Essex Pensions Fund

Employee contributions

 

 

 

(5.8% pensionable pay)

£76.04

 

 

Employer contributions

 

 

 

(21.7% pensionable pay)

£284.49

 

 

Administration charge

 

 

 

(8% employee contributions)

£6.08

£366.61

 

 

 

 

Mrs. R. Dilworth

Pavilion cleaning – January

 

 

 

20 hours @ £8.50 per hour

 

£170.00

 

 

 

 

Supplies 4 Business

Photocopying

£14.08

 

From Concisely Ltd

VAT

£2.82

£16.90

 

 

 

 

Office Power Limited

Cleaning materials re: Pavilion

£136.08

 

Re: Supplies 4 Business

VAT

£27.22

 

 

 

 

£163.30

 

 

 

 

Reliable Fire Protection

Fire Extinguisher Maintenance

£53.40

 

Services Ltd

VAT

£10.68

 

 

 

 

£64.08

 

 

 

 

All Saints Church Magazine

Printing quarterly reports 2019/2020

 

£61.60

 

 

 

 

Plunkett Foundation

Affiliation fee: 2020

£200.00

 

 

VAT

£40.00

 

 

 

 

£240.00

 

 

 

 

R. Rapley

Website Maintenance

£65.00

 

 

Websites assessment and report

£50.00

 

 

 

 

£115.00

 

 

 

£2,514.15

 

 

 

Transfers: Members noted that there had not been any funds transferred between the Parish Council’s bank accounts between meetings.

 

Bank reconciliation as at 31st January 2020: A bank reconciliation for the period 1st April 2019 to 31st January 2020 was carried out by the Chairman and approved by the Parish Council as follows:

 

Statement of Accounts:

 

Receipts:

£117,404.22

 

Barclays Bank Plc:

 

Expenditure

£74,393.37

 

Current account

£7,944.62

 

 

 

Business Premium Account

£17,235.39

 

 

 

Capital Projects Fund

£10,486.41

 

 

 

Legacy

£7,294.43

 

________

 

Petty Cash

£50.00

 

£ 43,010.85

 

 

£43,010.85

 

 

12/02/20 CORRESPONDENCE

 

Maldon District Council

Strategic Partner for Community: Members noted that Maldon District Council were proud to share its new ‘Thematic Strategies for Place, Community and Prosperity’ with the Parish Council. These could be found on-line and the Parish Council had also asked for hard copies, given the size of the documents.

 

In its correspondence the District Council had explained that as a Council it was important to focus its time and effort in priority areas which supported its vision.

 

  • The Place Strategy would protect and improve the built and natural environment for residents and visitors, alongside sustainable growth and new infrastructure.

 

  • The Community Strategy would create healthy, safe and vibrant communities and support the health and wellbeing of residents.

 

  • The Prosperity Strategy would support local businesses and attract new ones to the District.

 

Members noted that Parish and Town Councils had been identified as one of the District Council’s ‘Strategic Partners’ for Community which meant that it welcomed the opportunity to collaborate with them, providing better information & insights, improving ways of working and problem solving to achieve common ambitions.

 

The District Council was keen to understand its partners better, in terms of their constitutions and objectives to n work more effectively with them.

 

Therefore, Ben Page (Strategic Theme Lead – Community: Strategy, Policy & Communications Directorate) would like to meet with the Parish Council to help strengthen their ongoing relationship at a time of Members’ convenience.

 

To assist him the Parish Council had been asked to answer the following questions:

 

  1. What is the purpose of your organisation or group?

  2. What are your strategic objectives?

  3. What are your strategic projects?

  4. What are the best contact details for your group

  5. Are there formal Terms of Reference for the group or how are Appointments to it made?

  6. What is Maldon District Council’s involvement or role and is there a data sharing agreement in place?

  7. How are you funded?

  8. How are you managed and how is performance assessed?

  9. How can we best support your activity in the Maldon District?

 

It was noted that the Parish Council had requested clarification of the relevance of some of the above questions.

 

Members also noted that the District Council believed that through ‘smart partnering’ with key organisations like the Parish Council it could better collaborate and achieve shared goals.

 

Essex County Council

Report for parishes: A report on the recent work of Essex County Council prepared by Councillor Channer was placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

13/02/20 POINTS OF INFORMATION

 

Members did not have any points of information to discuss.

 

CRIME AND DISORDER ACT 1988 (SECTION 17)

 

Consideration was given to the crime and disorder implications of all decisions made at this meeting.

 

There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.55 p.m.