MINUTES OF A MEETING OF PURLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL,

HELD IN THE WELLS PAVILION, HOWE GREEN ROAD,

ON FRIDAY, 13th OCTOBER 2017, AT 7.30 P.M.

 

Members present: Mr. G. Rayner (Chairman), Mr. C. Ash, Mr. S. Bardwell, Mr. B. Oliver, Mr. S. Potter, Mr. G. Strathern.

 

Also in attendance: Mrs. Jane Potter (Clerk).

 

Miss Sue White (District Council Ward Member) and Mrs. Penny Channer (County Council Ward Member) attended the public session prior to the start of the meeting as did five members of the public.

 

Two members of the public attended part of the meeting.

 

1/10/17 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

 

Apologies were received from Mr. N. Arthur who was unable to attend the meeting due to a prior personal engagement and from Mr. John Archer (District Council Ward Member) who was unable to attend due to a prior commitment.

 

In the absence of Mr. Arthur, the Vice Chairman, Mr. Rayner, took the Chair.

 

2/10/17 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATIONS (Localism Act 2011)

 

Mr. Strathern declared an interest in Agenda item 8/10/17, having undertaken a previous business transaction with one of the contractors.

 

There were no applications for dispensations from the provisions of the Localism Act 2011.

 

Members noted that in the continued absence of Melissa Kelly (Monitoring Officer) Maldon District Council had appointed three Deputy Monitoring Officers to assist Members with any queries about matters of conduct or declarations of interest etc. as follows:

 

  • Wendy Morse (01621 875708)

  • Simon Quelch (01621 875870)

  • Saleem Chugtai (01621 875859)

 

It was noted that amendments to registers of interests should continue to be sent to Val Downes at val.downes@maldon.gov.uk.

 

Full details of the new arrangements were placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

3/10/17 THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF PURLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 8TH SEPTEMBER 2017 having been circulated to all Members, were approved, and signed by the Chairman.

 

4/10/17 TO DISCUSS ANY MATTERS OF INFORMATION ARISING FROM THOSE MINUTES:

 

4.1/10/17 Clerk: 10.2/09/17 To consider purchasing a wreath for Remembrance Sunday: As Mr. Arthur wasn’t going to be available on 12th November 2017, it was agreed that Mr. Ash would lay a wreath at the Remembrance Day Service on behalf of the Parish Council.

 

4.2/10/17 Members’: Members did not have any matters of information arising from the September meeting to discuss.

  

5/10/17 PLANNING MATTERS

 

5.1/10/17 Decisions taken between meetings: RES/MAL/17/01022 Reserved matters application for the approval of layout, scale, appearance and landscape on application OUT/MAL/15/00691 approved on appeal APP/X1545/W/16/3148836 (outline application for the demolition of existing chalet dwelling and erection of 3No. detached houses). Treelawn Nursery, Chelmsford Road, Purleigh.

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED REFUSAL on the following grounds:

  1. The design and scale of the three proposed dwellings would dominate the frontage of this large plot, unnecessarily creating a cramped and urban street scene to the detriment of the character and appearance of the area, contrary to Policies D1 and H4 of the adopted Local Development Plan and principles contained within the National Planning Policy Framework and draft Maldon Design Guide.

  2. The three closely packed houses constituted overdevelopment of the roadside frontage of this rural plot and did not respect local context or prevailing design. They did not make a positive contribution to the landscape in terms of architectural style, size, scale, massing and proportion, and were therefore contrary to Policy D1 of the Adopted Local Development Plan.

5.2/10/17 Current Applications: FUL/MAL/17/01069 & LBC/MAL/17/01070 Proposed extension to existing public house with internal and external alterations and replacement doors and windows. The Bell Public House, The Street, Purleigh. Mr. & Mrs. Webb.

Members gave careful consideration to the written concerns of some residents about this application and to the verbal comments of the applicant and residents which had been expressed during the public session prior to the start of the meeting, particularly those relating to the provision of off street parking at The Bell.

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

LDE/MAL/17/01056 Claim for Lawful Development Certificate for existing continued B2 general industrial use. Birchwood Farm, Birchwood Road, Cock Clarks. Essex Tractor Company Ltd.

 

The Parish Council did not have any information which contradicted that supplied by the applicant.

TCA/MAL/17/01139 T1 Sycamore: Reduce to previous reduction points. Prune to lift from garage roof. 1m clearance. T2 Yew: Crown lift to 2.5m by removal of minor limbs 5cm diameter. Reduce crown overall to produce an even crown. Approx. 2m off the top and 1 – 1.5m around sides. Purleigh Hall, The Street, Purleigh. Monica Kingsnorth.

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

5.3/10/17 Notification of appeals:

 

Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (appeal under s78)

Appeal by: Mr. and Mrs. Brett

Site address: Land rear of The Orchard, Maldon Road, Latchingdon

Application reference No: OUT/MAL/16/00915

Appeal reference No: APP/X1545/W/16/3147984

Description of development: Demolition of one dwelling with all matters reserved for the construction of seven dwellings comprising 2 x two bed, 2 x three bed and 3 x four bed dwellings.

 

Members noted that the above Appeal had been DISMISSED and that a copy of the Inspector’s decision had been placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (appeal under s78)

Appeal by: The Trustees, Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome Trust

Site address: Stow Maries Aerodrome, Hackmans Lane, Cold Norton

Application reference No: FUL/MAL/16/001142

Appeal reference No: APP/X1545/W/17/3182321

Description of development: Planning application for operational arrangements for the use of the Airfield at Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome including hours of operation, restrictions on the number of take offs and landings, and arrangements for Special Public Event days. The arrangements to be as follows: The airstrip to be used by fixed wing and propeller driven aircraft, helicopters, apart from emergency services machines, may only use the site in the event of emergency or during Public Event days. Take offs and landings only after 08.00 hours and no later than either 20.00 hours, or sunset whichever is earlier. In the winter months (November to April inclusive) there shall be no more than 25 landings and 25 take offs per day. In the summer months (May to October inclusive) there shall be no more than 25 landings and 25 take offs on weekdays. In the summer months (May to October inclusive) there shall be a maximum of 50 landings and take offs per day at weekends and bank holidays apart from Special Public Event Flying days when maximum landings and take offs are increased to 75 take offs and 75 landings per day.

 

Members noted that an Appeal had been made to the Secretary of State against Maldon District Council’s decision to refuse to grant planning permission for the above development.

 

5.4/10/17 Maldon District Council planning decisions: Members noted that Maldon District Council had APPROVED the following planning applications:

 

  • HOUSE/MAL/17/00702 & LBC/MAL/17/00703 Two storey extension to rear of existing listed cottage. Forge Cottage, Hackmans Lane.

  • LDE/MAL/17/00870 Claim for a Lawful Development Certificate for the existing use of the building as a single dwelling house. The Lodge, Pale Pitt Farm.

 

5.5/10/17 Other planning matters: North Western Area Planning Committee: Members noted that the Parish Council had been given the opportunity to speak at the North Western Area Planning Committee meeting held on Monday, 2nd October 2017 at 7.30 p.m. in the Council Offices, Maldon District Council, about the following planning applications:

 

  • HOUSE/MAL/17/00702 and LBC/MAL/17/00703 Two storey extension to rear of existing listed cottage. Forge Cottage, Hackmans Lane, Cock Clarks.

 

In accordance with the policy agreed at the May 2017 Parish Council meeting (Min ref: 07/05/17) it had been agreed not to make any representation at the Committee meeting.

 

Land at Rudley Oaks, Chelmsford Road: 17/00388/BC Breach of condition 5 (no trees or hedgerows within the site shall be felled, cut back, damaged or removed unless otherwise agreed in writing with the Local Planning Authority) of approved planning permission FUL/MAL/12/00525. Land at Rudley Oaks, Chelmsford Road.

 

Members noted that following the Parish Council’s enquiry between meetings into the felling of a mature Oak tree at the site, an investigation by the Planning Enforcement section had commenced.

 

Agricultural occupancy conditions and compliance, Glenville and Brights Villa, Chelmsford Road: Members noted that following the Parish Council’s enquiry about whether there were agricultural occupancy conditions attached to Glenville and Brights Villa, Chelmsford Road, and, if there were, whether they were being complied with (see Minute 5.4/09/17), the District Council had written to Members explaining that in order to open an enforcement case into the Parish Council’s concerns Officers needed confirmation that it was suspected that planning conditions were not being complied with.

 

It was agreed to re-phrase the Parish Council’s enquiry, by explaining to the District Council that if there were agricultural occupancy conditions attached to these properties the Parish Council suspected they were not being complied with.

 

Repairs to Eastcroft, Fambridge Road: Members noted the contents of a letter from Tim Howson (Conservation Officer, Maldon District Council) which advised the Parish Council that some renovation and restoration work was due to start at Eastcroft, Fambridge Road.

 

Details of the planned work were placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information. 

 

Works to the hedgerow surrounding land at the junction of Spar Lane, Rudley Green Lane and Chelmsford Road: Details of work agreed with the District Council’s Tree Officer to manage the hedgerow at this location were noted by the Parish Council.

 

6/10/17 HIGHWAY MATTERS

 

6.1/10/17 Parking restrictions in The Street: Members noted that the South Essex Parking Partnership had agreed to put this matter on hold until residents could agree where in The Street they would like any parking restrictions to be imposed.

 

Members then gave careful consideration to amended proposals for restricted parking in The Street drawn up by affected residents who had now agreed proposed locations of the yellow lines. According to residents the proprietors of The Bell had verbally confirmed that they had no problems with the proposed lines adjacent to the Eastern corner of their property. Members noted that the proposals were aimed at ensuring that (a) the pinch point between The Bell and The Old Gate House was kept free of parked vehicles so that access for residents and emergency vehicles to and from the upper part of The Street was maintained, and (b) to reduce instances of parking on the blind corner outside Turnstone.

 

Members agreed in principle with the proposed amendments but would only support the introduction of yellow lines in front of The Bell as far as the dropped kerb of the path leading to the post box, as to extend the parking restrictions as far as proposed by residents would remove safe parking for two vehicles at a location often used by Royal Mail, the brewery and churchgoers.

 

It was agreed to advise residents of the Parish Council’s objection to part of their proposal accordingly.

 

6.2/10/17 Tru-Cam speed enforcement: Members noted that in response to the Parish Council’s request for further information about the powers District Council Community Protection Officers would have when operating Tru-Cam speed monitoring equipment (See Minute 6.3/09/17), Adrian Rayner (Community Protection Team Leader, Maldon District Council) had confirmed his team would issue anyone caught speeding with a Fixed Penalty Notice. Officers could and would also be working alongside those community speed watch teams in the District who had asked them to.

 

It was agreed to consider setting aside money in the precept 2018/2019 to pay the District Council to carry out speed enforcement in the parish. Members noted that as the cost was £30.60 per hour, an hour’s tru-cam speed enforcement a month would cost the Parish Council £367.20 per annum.

 

6.3/10/17 To receive a report of a site meeting with Essex Highways to discuss the temporary closure of Maldon Road during floods: Members noted that on Friday, 6th October 2017 Mr. Bardwell, Mr. Potter and the Clerk had met with Olive Porter (Network Assurance Officer, Essex Highways) to discuss the Parish Council’s application to close Maldon Road when it was flooded.

 

In October 2016 the Parish Council had submitted an application for Maldon Road to be temporarily closed when flooded to try to prevent additional distress and damage to adjacent properties caused by vehicles using the road when it was under water.

 

Having established that the Parish Council’s application was viable, the meeting agreed in principle:

 

  1. A local diversion route (Burnham Road, Fambridge Road (B1010) and Cold Norton Road (B1018)).

  2. The location of signs and notices advising motorists of the temporary road closure and directing traffic around the diversion route

  3. Where the signs and notices would be stored

  4. The procedure for closing the road

 

In normal circumstances the Parish Council would be expected to purchase its own road signs and apply for funding towards them from the Local Highways Panel. Purleigh was extremely fortunate however as Mr. Bardwell had very generously offered to provide the Parish Council with the traffic signs required, as and when necessary, from his company’s stock. He had also agreed to organise any road closures, including putting up the signs and notices and to reopen the road when the floodwater had subsided.

Signs and Notices

Signs:

Members noted that the following locations for signs and notices had been agreed at the meeting:

  • The road closed sign and 2 barriers to be placed Northwest of Mapledean Industrial Estate (so that the entrance to Mapledean could be used by vehicles to turn round)

  • The road closed sign and 2 barriers to be placed Northwest of Hazelmere

  • The road closed ahead board and the diverted traffic board with an arrow pointing to the right to be placed on Maldon Road at the junction of Burnham Road and the road leading to Mundon (Pillar Box Corner)

  • The diversion end sign to be placed on the verge prior to Maldon Road and the road leading to Mundon (Pillar Box Corner)

  • The diversion board with a left arrow to be placed on Burnham Road at its junction with Fambridge Road under the give way sign on the verge.

  • The diversion board with a right arrow to be placed on the verge in Fambridge Road before the junction with Burnham Road (not obstructing the sight lines at Silsons Cottages)

  • The diversion board with the left  arrow to be placed on Fambridge Road before the junction with Cold Norton Road on the verge in front of the post holding the give way sign and roundabout sign (Pale Pit Corner)

  • The diversion board with the right arrow to be placed on Cold Norton Road just before junction with Fambridge Road on the verge  in front of the B1010 (B1012) HGV signage

  • The diversion end sign to be placed on the verge prior to Maldon Road (junction of Cold Norton Road, Maldon Road and The Street, Latchingdon)

  • The road closed ahead board and the diverted traffic boards with an arrow pointing to the left to be placed on Maldon Road at the junction of Cold Norton Road

 

Notices:

Notices would be placed at the locations identified below:

 

  • Maldon Road: On the bus stop outside Birch House

  • Maldon Road: On the directional sign at the junction of Burnham Road and the road leading to Mundon (Pillar Box Corner)

  • Maldon Road: On the Parish Council’s notice board outside the Old Police House

 

Action:

  1. Mrs. Porter to confirm in writing the location of all signs and notices, as agreed at the site meeting and to copy this information to Mr. Bardwell (see above).

  2. Mrs. Porter to provide the Parish Council (and Mr. Bardwell) with the notices so that all that would be required in the event of a road closure was the insertion of a date.

  3. If the Parish Council wished to proceed with the scheme, it would need to provide Essex County Council with the address of the Council, its contact details, notification of where the signs would be stored and a copy of the Parish Council’s £10 million public liability insurance.

 

It was agreed to proceed with the scheme and to provide Essex County Council with the information required.

 

The Parish Council recorded its sincere thanks to Mr. Bardwell for his invaluable assistance with this project. His help, expertise and willingness to take responsibility for the implementation of this project had not only saved the Parish money but would ensure that the road closures were carried out as specified in the agreement. Members and the Clerk greatly appreciated his input.

 

6.4/10/17 Other highway matters: Essex Highways Service Delivery Survey: Members noted that between meetings Members had been invited to formulate a collective response to an on-line survey being carried out by Essex Highways into the services it provided and its clients’ satisfaction with them.

 

It was noted and approved that the Clerk had completed the survey on behalf the Parish Council.

  

7/10/17 PLAYING FIELD AND OPEN SPACES

 

7.1/10/17 Children’s play Area: Monthly report: Mr. Ash reported that that he had carried out weekly inspections of the children’s play area and that all items of play equipment therein appeared to be in a satisfactory condition. The condition of the new grass was improving and there was less evidence of moles.

Purleigh Community Fund Survey: Members noted that the members of the Purleigh Community Fund had put together a survey to gain some community feedback about the existing playground and playing field facilities and an idea of what people would like to see there in future. They had received around 30 responses to date but hoped to get between 50 and 100.

 

The anonymous survey was online at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LVZM6PG  and took less than 3 minutes to complete.

 

7.2/10/17 To consider options for installing CCTV in the Pavilion: Members were reminded that at the August 2017 Parish Council meeting, the Parish Council had discussed various options for the provision of CCTV cameras at the pavilion. It had been agreed that whatever system was initially installed should have the potential to be extended to provide coverage of the Children’s Play Area at a later date, so the minimum specification should include a 6 way DVR plus four domed cameras.

 

Mr. Bardwell had very kindly agreed to obtain a formal quotation along these lines for the Parish Council’s consideration. In the interim he had also generously offered to donate a pole and spare camera to overlook the Children’s Play Area. (See Minute 7.3/08/17.)

 

Mr. Bardwell reported that he was meeting with a security expert next week in the Pavilion to obtain a quotation for Members’ consideration at the November Parish Council meeting.

 

7.3/10/17 To receive an update on repairs to the away team’s showers: Members noted that having exposed the shower wall Mr. Russell (Nestwood Building Services) had become concerned that the insulation in the wall may contain materials hazardous to health. The shower room had duly been locked and Mr. Potter had arranged for a sample of the insulation to be tested by Environtec, who found no asbestos in the sample.

 

Mr. Russell had also advised the Parish Council that he had run into a number of other problems, one being his inability to isolate the showers without turning the water off to the whole building.

 

Members noted and approved that the Chairman had liaised with Mr. Russell regarding the Aquaclad finish required and that the Aquaclad panels were due to be delivered on Tuesday, 17th October.

 

It was agreed in principle to pay Mr. Russell’s invoice for this work between meetings, provided the work had been approved by Mr. Arthur and Mr. Potter, or another Parish Councillor if one of the aforementioned isn’t available.

 

7.4/10/17 Other playing field and open space matters: Electricity meter replacement: Members noted that E-on had replaced the electricity meter in the pavilion on 20th September 2017.

 

Pavilion floor: It was noted that the Chairman had kindly stained the replacement wooden flooring inside the verandah doors to try to match the existing.

 

Urn: Members noted that Mr. Rayner had obtained the parts required to install a tap to fill the urn, which he had passed on to Mr. Arthur. Members noted that there had been complaints from users that the urn didn’t provide water hot enough to make a cup a tea.

 

Allotment matters: Members noted that Chris Jay (Plot 6) had swapped his allotment for Plot 1 and new tenants had been found for plots 6 and 11. All plots therefore were now let.

 

Allotment water meter: It was agreed to try to locate the water meter to enable better monitoring of usage.

  

8/10/17 TO AWARD THE GRASS CUTTING CONTRACT FOR THE 2018 SEASON

 

Mr. Strathern declared an interest in this Agenda item and played no part in the decision to award the contract.

 

Members noted that on this occasion Maldon District Council had been unable to supply a quotation for the Parish Council’s consideration. Due to staffing levels and machinery changes, the District Council could not offer the level of service that Members were seeking.  Essentially, the District Council’s cylinder mowers had been replaced (over time) with flail and rotary equipment which would require boxing up all the grass cuttings from the cemetery and churchyard.  Factoring this in, in addition to the normal work costs, meant that its tender would not be competitive enough. The District Council was in the process of renewing and updating some of its equipment however and hoped that Members would include it in the distribution for future invitations to tender.

 

The following tenders for the grass cutting and hedge-trimming contract in Purleigh for the 2018 season were opened by the Chairman, and their contents considered by the Parish Council:

 

A.G. Macmorland Farming Partnership £4,910.00
PG Groundcare Ltd £5,579.25
   
Both quotations were net of VAT.  

 

 

 

The Parish Council gave very careful consideration to the quotations provided by both contractors and repeated its commitment to ensuring that those areas of the parish maintained by the Parish Council were kept to as a high a standard as was practicable so that parishioners felt proud of the area and visitors to its many points of interest left with a good impression of it.

 

Mr. Potter proposed, and it was agreed, that A.G. Macmorland Farming Partnership be awarded the grass cutting contract for the 2018 season.

 

9/10/17 PARISH COUNCIL MEETING TIMES

 

It was agreed that henceforth Parish Council meetings would start half an hour earlier at 7.00 p.m. and that the public session before each meeting would take place between 6.45 p.m. and 7.00 p.m.

 

The Clerk agreed to publicise the new arrangements.

 

10/10/17 FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

10.1/10/17 Internal audit of accounts for the period 1st April 2017 to 30th September 2017: Members noted that John Smith-Daye (Lambert Chapman LLP) would carry out a half yearly independent audit of the Parish Council’s accounts for the period 1st April 2017 to 30th September 2017 on 26th October 2017 at Noon.

 

10.2/10/17 To receive a Statement of Accounts for the period 1st April 2017 to 30th September 2017: It was unanimously agreed to approve the Statement of Accounts for the period 1st April 2017 to 30th September 2017 as follows:

 

Statement of Accounts:

 

Receipts:

£77,971.99 Barclays Bank Plc:  

Expenditure  

£33,686.91    Current account £2,180.74
   

   Business Premium Account

£26,770.49
   

   Historic Buildings Fund

£8,768.69
   

   Miss Pawsey’s Legacy

£6,515.16

 

________ Petty Cash £50.00

 

£44,285.08   £44,285.08
       

 

 

Bank statements detailing the transactions to date in all four of the Parish Council’s bank accounts for the period 1st April 2017 to 30th September 2017 were available at the meeting for Members’ inspection, as part of the internal audit process.

10.3/10/17 To carry out a financial review 2017/2018 and consider forward estimates 2018/2019: Members considered a detailed breakdown of income and expenditure for the period 1st April 2017 to 30th September 2017; estimated income and expenditure for the financial year 2017/2018 and a breakdown of anticipated income and expenditure 2018/2019.

Members noted that this review formed part of the Parish Council’s internal audit procedure as required by the Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2011.

 

10.4/10/17 To receive a report of receipts: Members received a report of the following receipts:

 

Jane Potter

Contribution to telephone account £70.00
     

Whist Drive

Pavilion hire July to September inclusive £169.00
     

Chris Ritchie

Pavilion hire - Re: 28th August 2017 £45.00
     

South Woodham Ferrers FC

Fees 2017/2018 season £640.00

(Reserves)

   
     

Allotment tenants

8 plot rentals @ £25 per plot per annum £200.00
     

Table-tennis Club

Pavilion hire for the period  

 

1st April to 30th September 2017 £156.00
     

Eastern Power Networks Plc

Wayleaves £27.61
     

U3A Aviation Group

Pavilion hire July to September inclusive £50.00

 

  £1,357.61

 

 

 

10.5/10/17 To approve payment of accounts between meetings: Members noted and approved that the following accounts had been paid between meetings, adhering strictly to the procedures outlined in the Parish Council’s Financial Regulation 5.5.

 

Chelmsford Diocese

Licence fee (Standing Order)   £20.00

   Glebe Management

     
       

British Telecom’ PLC

Telephone account (Direct Debit) £186.05  

 

VAT £37.21  

 

    £223.26

 

    £243.26

 

 

 

10.6/10/17 To approve payment of accounts to hand and transfers between bank accounts: It was unanimously agreed to approve payment of the following accounts to hand:

 

 

Mrs. Jane Potter

Salary – September 2017 £1,226.00  
 

Less tax

£39.00  
 

National Insurance

£65.52  
 

And Pension Contributions

£71.11  

 

    £1,050.37
       

H.M. Revenue & Customs

Tax £39.00  
 

National Insurance (employees)

£65.52  
 

National insurance (employers)

£75.35  

 

    £179.87
       

Essex Pension Fund

Employee contributions    
 

(5.8% pensionable pay)

£71.11  
 

Employer contributions

   
 

(16.7% pensionable pay)

£204.74  
 

Administration charge

   
 

(8% employee contributions)

£5.69  

 

    £281.54
       

Mrs. R. Dilworth

Pavilion cleaning – September 2017    

 

20 hours @ £7.50 per hour   £150.00
       

AG Macmorland

Grass cutting – September 2017 £410.00  

   Farming Partnership 

VAT £82.00  

 

    £492.00
       

The Royal British Remembrance Day

Wreath £19.00  

   Legion Poppy Appeal S.137

Donation  £21.00 £40.00
       

RBS Invoice Finance Ltd

Photocopying £23.20  

 

VAT £4.64  

 

    £27.84
       

Mrs. Jane Potter

Petty Cash – Reimbursement    

 

Plumbing parts £7.93  

 

VAT £1.59  

 

Postage £12.36  

 

    £21.88

 

    £2,243.50

 

 

 

Transfers: Members noted and approved that the following transfer had been made between bank accounts:

 

  1. On 11th October 2017 the sum of £1,179.25 had been transferred from the Business Premium Account (80731099) to the Community Current Account (40731099) to cover payment of the accounts to be paid at the Parish Council meeting held on 13th October 2017 and leave approximately £1,500 in the current account.

 

Bank reconciliation as at 30th September 2017: A bank reconciliation for the period 1st April 2017 to 30th September 2017 was carried out by the Chairman and approved by the Parish Council (see Statement of Accounts above).

 

11/10/17 CORRESPONDENCE

 

Essex County Council

Public consultation on proposed changes to the mobile library service 19th September to 6th November: Members noted details of a public consultation regarding the future of the mobile library service in Essex. Angela Balcombe (Parish & Community Initiatives Fund Grant Co-ordinator, Corporate and Customer Services, ECC) wrote to the Parish Council explaining that in recent years fewer and fewer people had been taking advantage of the mobile library service. Combined with other factors, such as vehicles which were coming to the end of their working lives, the County Council had reached a point where the right thing to do was look again at how the service was provided to create a new library service which was a better fit with people’s lives across Essex.

 

The County Council’s aim was to create a service which was available at a place and time which suited users; a service which was flexible enough to help volunteers set up a community library; a service where volunteers delivered books directly to the door and could stop to chat with residents to contribute to ending social isolation, and most importantly to create a service which was able to respond to different local needs and settings and have books available to more people more of the time.

 

Members noted that the deadline for responses was 6th November 2017.

 

It was noted that all the responses from the consultation would be analysed and a formal report produced which would be published on the consultation website and would be available on request for those without internet access. The analysis would be used to help the County Council decide what changes to implement.

 

A copy of the consultation paper was placed in the circulation folder for Member’s consideration.

 

Launch of the Essex Crowd

Members noted that The Essex Crowd was a new community crowdfunding initiative which gave people the opportunity to pitch their ideas, big and small, for projects which they believed would make Essex a great place to live, work and play. From community gardens and street murals to festivals and sports facilities, The Essex Crowd promised to pledge up to £5,000 to support innovative projects that could inspire communities throughout Essex to create connections and bring people together building social capital.

 

Local Services Fund

Members noted that Essex County Council had also launched a new Local Services Fund aimed at supporting communities across Essex. The Local Services Fund would support the creation of services that would improve local policy by being more locally responsive. It would be administered by the EALC and aimed to provide revenue and other grants to Parish and Town Councils etc. to undertake single activity or ongoing services to satisfy locally determined community benefits or enhancements. Applications were invited from 1st October 2017.

 

Examples of eligible projects:

 

  • Grounds maintenance apprenticeships

  • Business apprenticeships

  • Hedge maintenance

  • Encouraging community volunteers

  • Greensward protection and maintenance

  • Setting up a community café

  • Setting up a community hub

  • Litter picking

 

Maldon District Council

Public consultation for Council Tax support 2018-2019: Members noted that Alastair Morrell (Revenues Team Leader, Maldon District Council) had informed the Parish Council that each year Maldon District Council had to carry out a public consultation on its £3m Council Tax Support Scheme which assisted low income households in the district with their council tax bills. 

 

The consultation for the Council Tax Support scheme for 2017-18 ran from 18th September for six weeks. This was a public consultation open to residents, local councils and other advice/support groups. 

 

Council Tax Support helped around 4,000 low income households in the District with their Council Tax bills. Currently, working age households had to pay at least 20% of their bill.  However, further changes were proposed to the scheme and once the consultation had closed, the information would be collated and a final decision on how the scheme would look would be made at full Council in December 2017. 

 

Rural Services Network

Growing a rural community survey for Essex: Members noted details of this survey, which aimed to increase the Rural Services Network’s data base of rural contacts. Mindful of its responsibilities under data protection legislation, the Parish Council agreed not to complete the questionnaire.

  

Essex Police

Invitation to Engagement Workshop: Chief Inspector Ronnie Egan, District Commander Chelmsford and Maldon District, invited Parish Councillors to participate in a workshop to assess how Essex Police could better engage with stakeholders, partners and the public.

 

The workshop would be held in Maldon District Council’s offices, Princes Road, Maldon, CM9 5DL, between 6.30 p.m. & 8.30 p.m. on Wednesday, 15th November 2017.

 

According to Chief Inspector Egan, Essex Police was committed to effective public engagement and achieving excellence in its engagement activities. Its vision was to have a police force that was informed by the needs and priorities of the people of Essex. He believed that community involvement provided an opportunity to inform and influence Essex Police, identifying commonalities where the Police and community could work better together, as well as actions needed to bring about positive change.

 

RSVP’s were required no later than 3rd November 2017 to public.engagement@essex.pnn,police.uk or by calling Laura Cade on 01245 452074 .

 

Mr. Strathern expressed an interest in attending the workshop if he was available.

 

Essex Association of Local Councils (EALC)

Calendar of Events 2018: Members noted that the EALC had published a Calendar of Events, including training dates, for 2018.

 

Social Media training had been arranged for Saturday, 17th February and Tuesday, 9th October (half day), Chairman’s Training had been arranged for Wednesday, 9th May and Wednesday, 13th May (a two day course),

a Routine Playground Inspection course had been arranged for Thursday, 24th May (whole day) with exams on Thursday, 21st June (afternoon) and a Volunteer Playground Inspection course (half day uncertificated) had been arranged to take place on Thursday, 21st May 2018.

 

It was agreed to book two places on the social media course taking place on 17th February 2018, and the calendar was placed in the circulation folder so Members could sign beside any other courses they wished to attend, having consulted their diaries.

 

12/10/17 POINTS OF INFORMATION

 

Members did not have any points of information to share.

 

CRIME AND DISORDER ACT 1988 (SECTION 17)

 

Consideration was given to the crime and disorder implications of all decisions made at this meeting.

 

There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.42 p.m.