MINUTES OF A MEETING OF PURLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL,

HELD IN THE WELLS PAVILION, HOWE GREEN ROAD

ON FRIDAY, 13th JULY 2018 AT 7.00 P.M.

 

Members present: Mr. C. Ash, Mr. B. Oliver, Mr. S. Potter, Mr. G. Strathern.

 

Also in attendance: Mrs. Jane Potter (Clerk).

 

Mr. John Archer and Miss Sue White (District Council Ward Members) attended part of the meeting.

 

The meeting was not attended by any members of the public.

 

In the absence of the Chairman and Vice Chairman, it was agreed that Mr. Potter should chair the meeting

 

1/07/18 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

 

Apologies were received from Mr. N. Arthur, Mr. S. Bardwell and Mr. G. Rayner, who were unable to attend the meeting due to prior personal commitments and from Mrs. Penny Channer (County Council Ward Member) who was also unable to attend due to a prior personal engagement.

 

2/07/18 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATIONS (Localism Act 2011)

 

Mr. Potter declared a non-pecuniary interest in Agenda item 5.2/07/18 in respect of planning application FUL/MAL/18/00612, being related to the applicant.

 

There were no applications for dispensations from the provisions of the Localism Act 2011.

 

3/07/18 THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF PURLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 8TH JUNE 2018 having been circulated to all Members, were approved, and signed by the Chairman.

 

4/07/18 TO DISCUSS ANY MATTERS OF INFORMATION ARISING FROM THOSE MINUTES:

 

4.1/07/18 Clerk: The Clerk did not have any matters arising from the June 2018 Parish Council meeting to report to Members.

 

4.2/07/18 Members’: Members did not have any matters arising from the June 2018 Parish Council meeting to discuss.

 

5/07/18 PLANNING MATTERS

 

5.1/07/18 Decisions taken between meetings: Members noted that the Parish Council had not made any recommendations to Maldon District Council on planning applications between meetings.

 

5.2/07/18 Current applications: HOUSE/MAL/18/00705 Two storey rear extension and shed. 57 The Glebe, Purleigh.

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

LBC/MAL/18/00695 and HOUSE/MAL/18/00694 Section 73A application for palisade fencing, additional paving, glass canopy over the back door and internal alterations. Mill House, Mill Lane, Purleigh.

 

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTION to this application but deferred to the opinion of the District Council’s Listed Building Officer.

 

FUL/MAL/18/00789 Demolish existing dilapidated bungalow and replace with a detached one and half storey chalet style dwelling house. The Bungalow, Lodge Lane, Purleigh.

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

HOUSE/MAL18/00823 Single storey extension to the side. China Blue, Maldon Road, Latchingdon.

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

FUL/MAL/18/00612 Demolition of existing wooden agricultural building. Replace with steel framed agricultural building storage. Atherstone Lodge, Fambridge Road, Mundon.

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

FUL/MAL/18/ 00788 Temporary siting of a 34 x 10 ft static caravan. The Bungalow, Lodge Lane. Purleigh.

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

5.3/07/18 Notification of appeals:

Town and Country Planning Act 1990 Appeal under section 78

Site address: Land between Grenfell and Inglenook, Birchwood Road

Appeal reference No: APP/X1545/W/18/3194821

Application reference No: FUL/MAL/17/00579

Description of development: Proposed new two storey, three bedroom dwelling on existing vacant plot.

 

Members noted that the above Appeal had been DISMISSED, as the Inspector had concluded that the proposed development would harm the character and appearance of the area, contrary to Policy D1 of the Local Development Plan, which amongst other matters sought to ensure that development respected and enhanced the character and local context of the area. It would also be at odds with the design aims of the National Planning Policy Framework.

 

A copy of the Inspector’s decision was placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

Town and Country Planning Act 1990

Appeal under section 78 and section 174

Site address: Cornlands, Hackmans Lane

Appeal reference No: APP/X1545/W/18/3198256

Application reference No: 17/01324/HOUSE

Description of development: Retrospective – Erection of front boundary wall.

Enforcement reference No: ENF/00311/01

Appeals reference No’s: APP/X1545/C/18/3198260 (Mr John Hurley) APP/X1545/C/18/3198261 (Mrs Janine Hurley)

Appeal start date: 28th June 2018

 

Members noted that three appeals had been made to the Secretary of State. One against the District Council’s decision to refuse to grant planning permission for the above development and two appeals by two appellants against enforcement notice ENF/00311/01 issued by the Planning Authority.

 

Town and Country Planning Act 1990 Appeal under section 78

Site address: Syringa, Chimney Lane, Purleigh

Appeal reference No: APP/X1545/D/18/3203701

Application reference No: HOUSE/MAL/18/00259

Description of development: Removal of conservatory, conversion of bungalow to two storey rear extension and alterations.

 

Members noted that an Appeal had been made to the Secretary of State against the District Council’s decision to refuse to grant planning permission for the above development.

  

 

Town and Country Planning Act 1990

Appeal under section 78 and section 174

Site address: Ben Rigby Game, Atherstone Lodge, Fambridge Road, Mundon

Appeal reference No: APP/X1545/W/18/3201788

Application reference No: 17/00962/FUL

Description of development: Retain use of land for the stationing of caravans to accommodate temporary workers, ancillary to meat preparation, packing and storage and distribution premises

Enforcement reference No: ENF/16/00136/02

Appeals reference No’s: APP/X1545/C/18/3201787

Appeal start date: 28th June 2018

 

Members noted that two appeals had been made to the Secretary of State. One against the District Council’s decision to refuse to grant planning permission for the above development and one appeal against enforcement notice ENF/16/00136/02 issued by the Planning Authority.

 

5.4/07/18 Maldon District Council planning decisions: Members noted that Maldon District Council had APPROVED the following planning applications:

  • HOUSE/MAL/18/00469 Two storey front extension and ground floor bay window to existing dwelling house. Wheatsheaf House, Fambridge Road.

  • FUL/MAL/18/00514 Demolition of Park House and construction of replacement dwelling, access to Maldon Road, parking and gardens. Park House, Maldon Road, Latchingdon.

 

and had REFUSED to grant planning permission for the following development:

 

  • HOUSE/MAL/18/00403 Erection of a two-storey rear extension. 5 Westerings.

  • FUL/MAL/18/0522 Proposed new vehicular crossover onto Marlpits Road, Annexe, Oakbridge, Marlpits Road

 

5.5/07/18 Maldon District Council: Planning procedures (the removal of the parish trigger and withdrawal of paper plans from Parish Councils): Members noted that Joy Darby (CEO, Essex Association of Local Councils) had written to the Leader of Maldon District Council with a view to calling a meeting of Town and Parish Councils in the Maldon District to discuss planning matters, including the removal of the parish trigger.

 

It was noted that the Clerk of the Dengie Hundred Group of Parish Councils had appealed to member councils to try to attend this meeting if it went ahead, as this was a very controversial subject and attendance could prove beneficial.

 

In the meantime, Maldon Town Council had circulated a letter to all parish and town councils in the District to try to persuade the District Council to reverse its decisions regarding the parish trigger and the withdrawal of paper plans.

 

It was also noted that Woodham Walter Parish Council had been asking other parish councils how the withdrawal of paper plans had been affecting Clerks, Parish Councillors and parishioners since the introduction of the new procedure in April. The numerous responses received had been forwarded to the Communities Officer at Maldon District Council who had subsequently advised the Planning Department about the issues that had been raised (e.g. the lack of adequate IT and/or support, the extra work for clerks and councillors, the inadequacy of the District Council website, the giving of an unprofessional appearance at meetings, and the provision of a poorer service to the public etc.)

 

In response, the planning department had explained that as part of the Council’s transformation project, IT was high on the agenda for an upgrade. It was likely that an upgrade would be in place by next summer, and should benefit the end-user.

 

It was clear therefore that the District Council had made the decision to stop sending out paper copies of plans before they had an IT solution which Parish Councils could work effectively with.

 

5.6/07/18 Maldon District Council Supplementary Planning Documents – Consultation papers:

 

  • Draft Maldon District Vehicle Parking Standards Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)

  • Draft Maldon District Statement of Community Involvement (SCI)

 

Having considered these documents, it was agreed not to make a formal response.

 

5.7/07/18 Other planning matters: Maldon District Council: Licensing Act 2003, Statement of Licensing Policy: Members noted that Maldon District Council was currently reviewing its ‘Statement of Licensing Policy’ which was due to expire in January 2019. The Statement set out the principles that the Council applied in exercising its licensing functions under the Act, and the associated Policy provided the basis for all licensing related decisions taken by the Authority.

 

Although there were no wholesale changes to the District Council’s Statement of Licensing Policy it had been updated and as an interested party the Parish Council had been invited to comment on the draft Policy before 15th August 2018.

 

A copy of the Policy was placed in the circulation folder so that a response could be formulated at the August meeting, if necessary.

 

Eastcroft Cottage, Fambridge Road: Members noted that it had been brought to the Parish Council’s attention that a vast amount of concrete had been imported onto the site where it was apparently being crushed up.

 

It was agreed to ask Maldon District Council’s enforcement team to investigate, given that the processing of industrial waste on agricultural land was illegal and to send a copy of the Parish Council’s request to the District Council’s Listed Building Officer.

 

In addition, Sue White (District Council Ward Member) agreed to raise this matter with the Planning Department.

 

Invitation for Maldon District Conservation Design Awards Nominations 2018: Members noted that the Maldon District Conservation & Design Awards Scheme was one of the longest running and most successful schemes of its type which aimed to acknowledge and encourage good design and sympathetic conservation of the special elements of the built and natural environment.

 

The annual awards relied on architects, landscape architects, professional bodies, charitable trusts, community groups, parish councils and the public to nominate projects for these awards.

  

The Parish Council did not have any projects to nominate for the 2018 awards.

 

6/06/18 HIGHWAY MATTERS

 

6.1/07/18 Proposed parking restrictions in The Street: Members noted that the South Essex Parking Partnership (SEPP) was consulting on proposals which in its opinion sought to provide a prohibition of waiting at all times (double yellow line) on the north-west side of the Street at the pinch point adjacent to The Bell public house and across the dropped kerb accessing the public footway. According to SEPP the proposal would improve the amenity of the road, better facilitate the passage of traffic, and the desirability of securing and maintaining access to the public footway.

 

It was noted that SEPP’s proposals however were very different to those put forward by residents and which had been supported by the Parish Council.

 

Members believed that the confusion may have arisen if SEPP had relied only on the amended proposals map sent to them and not the letters which had accompanied it. Residents had asked for parking restrictions, on the bend bordering The Old Gatehouse, on the bend outside Turnstone, and in front of The Bell, which the Parish Council had supported with one amendment, which was that parking restrictions in front of The Bell should only extend as far as the dropped kerb leading to the Post Box, because to extend the parking restrictions as far as originally proposed by residents would have removed safe parking for two vehicles at a location often used by Royal Mail, the brewery and churchgoers. Members felt that SEPP may have just taken the Parish Council’s suggested amendment to the parking restrictions in front of The Bell to be the whole of the proposed scheme.

 

Residents agreed and believed that SEPP had misinterpreted the Parish Council’s comments. The Parish Council wished the restrictions immediately in front of The Bell to end at the footpath, rather than go as far as the boundary to Creran, but had supported residents’ proposal that there should also be restrictions in front of The Old Gatehouse and on the corner outside Turnstone.

 

Residents had asked the Parish Council to clarify its position with SEPP and had suggested that the current proposals be withdrawn, pending the scheme being amended to reflect the wishes of residents and the Parish Council.

 

It was agreed that the Parish Council would write to SEPP clarifying its position.

 

6.2/07/18 Enforcement of the parking restrictions in Pump Lane: Members noted that the Chairman had met with Joe Figg (Headteacher, Purleigh Community Primary School and Chief Executive Officer of the Eveleigh LINK Multi Academy Trust) to discuss the school contributing financially towards more hours parking enforcement. At the meeting Mr. Figg had agreed that the school would pay for the same number of hours parking enforcement per year as the Parish Council currently did (i.e. £450 per annum) commencing in September 2018. This would mean that the school would pay £262.50 for 7 months enforcement in the financial year 2018/2019.

 

6.3/07/18 Other highway matters: Broken directional sign in Fambridge Road at its junction with Burnham Road (CM9 6NH, ECC ref:2548798): Members noted that Essex County Council had advised that this issue had been investigated, risk assessed and recorded in line with its Maintenance Strategy as not requiring immediate action. The sign’s repair would however be considered for inclusion in future planned works.

 

Members noted that the Parish Council had asked Officers to inspect the site again with a view to reconsidering this decision, given that the top right hand quarter of the sign was lying on the grass verge and could still be re-used.

 

Parked HGV’s in front of City Lifting on the bend at the junction of Burnham Road with Main Road, Mundon (Pillar Box Corner). Members noted that HGV’s were parking on the bend, in a manner which made overtaking them highly dangerous and detrimental to highway safety. The Parish Council understood that the Chairman had spoken to the Managing Director of the company advising him of the situation and the resulting danger to motorists.

 

Parking in The Glebe: Members noted that the Parish Council had been made aware of problems associated with the lack of, and inconsiderate parking in The Glebe.

 

Condition of Fambridge Road between Palepit Corner and Limebrook Way: Members noted that a Cold Norton parishioner had written to Purleigh, Cold Norton and Hazeleigh Parish Councils pointing out numerous defects in Fambridge Road and asking if pressure could be put on Essex County Council to take remedial action.

 

It was agreed to write to Essex County Council asking for the repair of the length of Fambridge Road between Palepit Corner and Limebrook Way and to ask for the assistance of Penny Channer (County Council Ward Member) given the restrictions imposed by the County Council’s on line reporting tool when trying to report numerous defects along a whole length of carriageway.

 

Accident in Hackmans Lane: Members noted that in response to questions about highway safety following an accident in Hackmans Lane, Jon Simmons (Highway Liaison Officer, Essex Highways) had written to Penny Channer updating her on progress regarding the Parish Council’s request that the 30mph speed limit be extended.

 

Mr. Simmons had explained that with regard to extending the 30mph speed limit from Cock Clarks to include the sharp bend at Cock Clarks Wash (Corporation Bridge) a seven day automatic traffic count had been carried out on 16th June 2018 at a point 35 metres southeast of the entrance to Oak Nurseries. The mean average daily speed of vehicles travelling in a Southeasterly direction had been 32.2mph and that of those travelling northwest bound had been 33.5mph.

 

Mean average speed and 85%ile (the speed at or below which 85% of vehicles were travelling) were the most commonly used measures of traffic speed. Department for Transport guidance was that Traffic Authorities should continue to routinely collect and assess both, but that mean average speeds should be used as the basis for determining local speed limits. Mr. Simmons had therefore concluded that based upon the recorded mean average speeds there was good compliance with the posted speed limit on Hackmans Lane.

 

According to Mr. Simmons, Essex Highways tried to implement speed limits in Essex in a consistent way and that any speed limit should always appear sensible to a driver. The road function, characteristics and environment and the actual speeds being driven enabled Essex County Council to determine the appropriate speed limit for a road. If drivers could not understand why a limit was in force, compliance was likely to suffer. Environment was a major determining factor in speed choice, so drivers should expect to see the same limits in similar environments.  Members noted that this consistency broke down if exceptions were made, and as a result drivers encountered unexpectedly low limits which were the most likely to be abused and could also bring other limits into disrepute.

 

A speed limit of 30mph would be the default in urban areas and villages. Essex County Council had relaxed the Department for Transport definition of a village as being 20 or more houses over a minimum length of 600 metres as being 11 or more properties to include houses, shops, churches or schools or public houses over a minimum length of 350 metres. So based on this, Essex County Council would not be looking to extend the existing 30mph speed limit in Hackmans Lane.

 

Mr. Simmons continued by explaining that the County Council’s Safer Roads Team undertook an annual review of road collisions across the Essex Network. The team analysed those collision cluster sites where there had been four or more personal injury collisions within a 50 metre radius over the past three years. These sites were then ranked by the severity of the collisions that were occurring across Essex as a whole.  The highest ranking sites were then further analysed to identify those with a clear and treatable pattern that could be addressed by a scheme. There had been three slight road traffic collisions in Hackmans Lane that had resulted in personal injury in the last five year period so it had not been identified as a site requiring further analysis.

  

Mr. Simmons concluded by advising Cllr. Channer that the Maldon District Local Highway Panel had funded a scheme at Cock Clarks Wash in 2018/2019 to improve the bend warning signage including “Max speed 30mph” sub-plates and the chevron signs. This scheme was due to be implemented in September 2018.   

 

Meeting regarding the planned replacement of the water main in Howe Green Road and Mill Hill: Members noted that Essex and Suffolk Water had asked the Parish Council to publicise a drop-in meeting it was holding on 17th July between 5.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. in Purleigh Village Hall, where residents could ask questions about the scheme. In response, the Parish Council had put up posters, directed the company to relevant social media sites, and suggested putting a notice in the Maldon & Burnham Standard. Individual residents of the affected roads weren’t being routinely informed about the meeting by Essex and Suffolk Water.

 

7/07/18 PLAYING FIELD AND OPEN SPACES

 

7.1/07/18 Children’s play Area: Monthly report: Mr. Ash reported that he had carried out his weekly inspections of the Children’s Play Area and that all items of play equipment therein appeared to be in a satisfactory condition. Additional grass cutting would however be welcomed.

 

7.2/07/18 To consider proposals from the Purleigh Community Fund (PCF) to landscape the area around the grass cuttings heap: Members considered a request from the PCF who would like to re-landscape the compost area and were thinking of putting a working party together possibly in Autumn to turn it into a natural play area. The scheme would be fairly simple with probably a bark path leading to a den building area/treehouse. The group would like to apply for trees from the Woodland Trust which were offered to communities free of charge and plant them in that area if the Parish Council had no objection.

 

It was agreed to explain to the PCF that the Parish Council would not support any additional tree planting, so that the easiest possible access to the playing field ditch could be maintained. Members would suggest however that the group attended the August Parish Council meeting with detailed proposals so that the Parish Council could properly assess the risks involved with the scheme.

 

Footpath adjacent to the road leading to the Telephone Exchange and playing field: It was agreed that since no action had been taken since the Parish Council had asked Essex County Council in June to arrange for overhanging vegetation to be cut back along this Public Right of Way, to ask Andrew Macmorland to strim alongside the footpath, as the overgrowth was continuing to obstruct pedestrians using the route.

 

7.3/07/18 Use of the Pavilion by South Woodham Football Club (SWFC): Members noted that after considering the events of last season, including the disruption to matches caused by the weather and burst water mains, SWFC had regrettably decided not to continue hiring the pavilion and pitch for matches. The club thanked the Parish Council for the use of the pitch over many years and for the excellent relationship it had enjoyed with it.

 

7.4/07/18 Pavilion security: New Lock and keys: Members were reminded that at the June meeting the Parish Council had noted and approved that having consulted with Barry Bros Security, Mr. Bardwell had liaised with them over the final specification for the new lock and keys, so the amount owing would be £483.90 plus VAT.

 

Mr. Bardwell had also taken delivery of six signs notifying users of the facilities that a surveillance scheme was in operation at a cost of £9.33 each plus VAT. (Minute no 7.3/06/18) which Members understood had subsequently been passed on to Mr. Arthur.

 

In the absence of Mr. Bardwell no report was given.

 

7.5/07/18 To receive a report of the annual tree inspection and risk assessment: Members noted that Mr. Arthur and Mr. Potter had carried out a risk assessment of the Parish Council’s tree stock on Friday, 22nd June 2018. Mr. Potter reported as follows:

 

Churchyard:

Dead branches needed to be removed from four trees.

 

Allotments:

A low branch of the Oak tree at the front of the site was overhanging Plot 6 and should be removed, as should a small self–seeded tree growing under the canopy of the Oak before it damaged the neighbouring property owner’s fence.

 

The Common:

One dead tree needed to be removed.

 

Playing field:

Two dead trees adjacent to Howe Green Road needed to be removed along with some dead branches on trees about half way down the ditch side of the playing field.

 

War Memorial Garden:

No action required.

 

During their inspection Mr. Arthur and Mr. Potter had concluded that the best site for a Pax Rose to be planted would be within the group of trees on the left hand boundary of the war memorial garden (See Minute 7.7/06/18).

 

Members noted that the Parish Council had set aside the sum of £1,000 within the precept 2018/2019 for works to trees. It was agreed to ask A.G. Macmorland Farming Partnership to provide the Parish Council with a quotation for the works to the trees described above, and to proceed between meetings if the sum quoted was less than £750.00.

 

7.6/07/18 To receive a report of the annual inspection and risk assessment of the closed churchyard at All Saints Church, including memorial inspections: In Mr. Bardwell’s absence this matter was deferred until the August 2018 Parish Council meeting.

 

7.7/07/18 Other playing field and open space matters: Condition of the home showers: Members inspected the home team showers, which required some maintenance.

 

Following the inspection it was agreed to ask Mr. Russell (Nestwood Building Services) to carry out the following repairs:

 

  • Replace the lagging on the pipes

  • Reseal the joints on the sheeting behind the showers

  • Replace all missing, broken and loose tiles

 

Broken tap cover: Members noted that there was a broken tap cover by the cricket square which had sharp edges and was likely to shatter. It was agreed to ask Mr. Russell (Nestwood Building Services) to replace the broken tap cover.

 

Provision of litter bins: The Parish Council was asked to consider replacing the bin in front of the pavilion with one of a larger capacity, as the current bin got full too quickly and animals then spread the overflow all over the playing field.

 

It was agreed to obtain quotations for a larger square litter bin to be installed in addition to the existing one, for Members’ consideration at the August 2018 meeting.

 

8/07/18 ALLOTMENT MATTERS

 

8.1/07/18 To receive a report of the annual inspection and risk assessment of the site: Members noted that the Clerk and Mr. Potter had inspected the allotment gardens in Chelmsford Road on 27th June 2018. Their observations were as follows:

 

Site: The site’s appearance was marred by the fact that the remains of a manure heap left inside the front gate adjacent to the road, and the chicken wire fence which surrounded it, had been engulfed by weeds. The paths and rest of the site had been regularly mown however and looked tidy, cared for and were free from obstruction.

 

Members noted that the Parish Council had received a letter from a parishioner requesting the removal of a tree which had self-seeded in the area next to the neighbouring front garden underneath the canopy of the large oak tree. It had grown extremely quickly and as it couldn’t get light from under the larger tree it was almost completely over hanging the fence. (See Minute 7.5/07/18 above).

 

Allotments: Plots 4, 8 and 9 were 100% cultivated with 100% weed control and were a real credit to their tenants. Plot 7 which last year had been almost totally abandoned except for some fruit trees growing unchecked continued to improve and was now, for the first time in years, 100% cultivated with 90% weed control and had a wide range of crops growing in it. Plot 6 had been untenanted for three years and had been in a poor state of cultivation for much longer than that. The new tenant had made a really good start clearing and planting both ends of the plot. The same tenant had also taken over Plot 1 in June, which had been abandoned for at least a year, and their efforts were starting to show good results.

 

The other relatively new tenants (Plots 5 and 11) were also clearly enjoying their gardens which were well cultivated and carefully tended. All tenants therefore deserved congratulation.

 

Action: It was agreed to write to the tenant who owned the remnants of the manure heap to tidy it up, or remove it along with the wire fence surrounding it, to improve the appearance of the front of the site.

 

8.2/07/17 Rent review 2017/2018: Members noted that the current rental was £25 per allotment per annum and all 11 plots were occupied at the present time. The Parish Council had agreed to waive the rental fee for Plot 3 in 2017/2018 in recognition of the work the tenant had done to improve the communal areas of the site.

 

Members noted that there were two people on the waiting list, both Purleigh residents.

 

Members noted that in May 2018 the Parish Council had received an exceptionally high water bill for the allotments £280.42, compared with £43.39 for the same period in May 2017 and £26.18 in May 2016, so the anticipated water charges 2018/2019 had been based on a worst case scenario.

 

Members also noted that Allotment rents had last been raised in October 2010 from £20.00 to £25.00 per allotment per annum.

 

Having given careful consideration to the allotment accounts 2017/2018 and to anticipated income from, and expenditure on, the allotments during 2018/2019, it was proposed and agreed that the allotment rents remained the same at £25 per plot per annum.

 

9/07/18 FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

9.1/07/18 To receive a report of the internal audit of accounts for the period 1st April 2018 to 30th June 2018: Members noted that due to the late receipt of the bank statements, Mr. Arthur had not been able to carry out an internal audit of the accounts for the period 1st April 2018 to 30th June 2018, but that he would do as soon as possible after the meeting.

 

During the audit, the Chairman would check statements of balances submitted to the Council against its bank statements and transaction books and carry out a bank reconciliation. He would also inspect the petty cash book, VAT and PAYE records and other subsidiary accounting records as he saw fit, in accordance with the Parish Council’s internal audit procedure.

 

9.2/07/18 To receive a Statement of Accounts for the period 1st April 2018 to 30th June 2018: It was unanimously agreed to approve the Statement of Accounts for the period 1st April 2018 to 30th June 2018 as follows:

 

 

Receipts: 

£72,375.25 Barclays Bank Plc:  

Expenditure

£11,735.54 Current account £2,302.69
   

   Business Premium Account

£42,985.24
   

   Historic Buildings Fund

£8,778.98
   

   Miss Pawsey’s Legacy

£6,522.80

 

________  Petty Cash £50.00

 

£60,639.71   £60,639.71

 

 

Bank Statements detailing the transactions to date in all four of the Parish Council’s bank accounts for the financial year 2018/2019 were available for Members’ inspection at the meeting, as part of the internal audit process.

 

9.3/07/18 To conduct a review of the financial year 2018/2019 and to consider forward estimates of income and expenditure for the financial year 2019/2020: As part of the Parish Council’s internal audit process, Members received a detailed breakdown of receipts and payments for the period 1st April 2018 to 30th June 2018, and considered and approved forward estimates of income and expenditure to the end of the financial years 2018/2019 and 2019/2020.

9.4/07/18 To receive a donation in memory of Pam and Paddy Lacey: Members noted that Pam and Paddy Lacey’s family had forwarded the Parish Council the sum of £750 comprised of donations given by family, friends and associates at Pam Lacey’s memorial service. The money had been donated for the on-going maintenance and care of the trees in the closed Churchyard of All Saints Church. Mr. and Mrs. Lacey had been long standing residents of The Street, Purleigh and had contributed greatly to the life of the parish. They were both sorely missed.

 

As the Parish council didn’t have any contact details for Mr. and Mrs. Lacey’s family, it was agreed to thank them via the Parish Magazine.

  

9.4/07/18 To receive a report of receipts: Members received a report of the following receipts:

  

Whist Drive

Pavilion hire (April – June inclusive) £182.00
     

Ramblers Association

Pavilion hire (1st July) £20.00
     

Donation

In memory of Pam and Paddy Lacey £750.00

 

  £952.00

 

 

9.5/07/18 To approve payments of accounts between meetings: Members noted and approved that the following account had been paid between meetings, adhering strictly to the procedures outlined in the Parish Council’s Financial Regulation 5.5.

 

 

British Telecom’ Plc

Telephone account £207.76  

 

VAT £41.55  

 

(Direct Debit)    

 

    £249.31

 

  

9.4/07/18 To approve payment of accounts to hand and transfers between bank accounts: It was unanimously agreed to approve payment of the following accounts to hand:

 

 

Mrs. Jane Potter

Salary – June 2018 £1,269.00  
 

Less tax

£41.40  
 

National Insurance

£68.04  
 

And Pension Contributions

£73.60  
      £1,085.96
       
H.M. Revenue & Customs  Tax £41.40  
 

National Insurance (employees)

£68.04  
 

National insurance (employers)

£78.25  
      £187.69

Essex Pensions Fund 

Employee contributions    
 

(5.8% pensionable pay)

£73.60  
 

Employer contributions

   
 

(19.2% pensionable pay)

£243.65  
 

Administration charge

   
 

(8% employee contributions)

£5.89 £323.14

Mrs. R. Dilworth

Pavilion cleaning – June    
  20 hours @ £8.00 per hour   £160.00
       

A.G. Macmorland

Grass cutting – June £980.00  

   Farming Partnership

VAT £196.00  
      £1,176.00
       

S.P. Bardwell Ltd

6 No. CCTV signs £55.98  

 

VAT £11.20  
      £67.18
       

RBS Invoice Finance Ltd

Photocopying £20.10  

 

VAT £4.02  
      £24.12
       

RBS Invoice Finance Ltd

Stationery £29.84  

 

VAT £5.97  
      £35.81
       
       

Maldon District Council

Community Protection Team    

 

Services £119.52  
  VAT £23.90  
      £143.42
       

Mrs. Jane Potter

Petty Cash – Reimbursement    

 

Postage   £4.40
       

E-On

Electricity re: The Pavilion £86.76  
  VAT  £4.34  
      £91.10
       

R. Rapley

Website maintenance    
  April to June 2018   £65.00
      £3,363.82

 

 

Transfers: Members noted and approved the following bank transfers:

 

  1. On 11th July 2018 the sum of £750 had been transferred from the Business Premium Account (80731099) to the Legacy account (90802476) being the donation received in memory of Pam and Paddy Lacey.

  2. On 11th July 2018 the sum of £3,474.03 had been transferred from the Business Premium Account (80731099) to the Community Current Account (40731080) to cover payment of the above accounts and leave approximately £1,500 in the current account.

 

Bank reconciliation as at 30th June 2018: A bank reconciliation for the period 1st April 2018 to 30th June 2018 was carried out by Mr. Strathern and approved by the Parish Council. Please see Statement of Accounts above (Minute 9.2/07/18).

 

11/07/18 CORRESPONDENCE

 

Dengie Hundred Group of Parish Councils’ Meeting held on 20th June 2018: In the absence of Mr. Rayner, no report was given.

 

Southminster Parish Council

Halloween contributions 2018: Members noted that the Parish Council had received a letter from Southminster Parish Council formally requesting that Members considered making a financial contribution to a Halloween event for children in the Dengie Hundred area to be held on 27th October 2018.

 

As the letter had been received after the publication of the Agenda, it was placed in the circulation folder for Members’ consideration at the August meeting, along with a copy of the accounts from last year’s event,

 

12/07/18 POINTS OF INFORMATION

 

Members noted that Marlene Shepherd was no longer treasurer of the Village Hall Management Committee.

 

Members did not have any points of information to share.

 

CRIME AND DISORDER ACT 1988 (SECTION 17)

 

Consideration was given to the crime and disorder implications of all decisions made at this meeting.

 

There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.15 p.m.