MINUTES OF A MEETING OF PURLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL,

HELD IN THE WELLS PAVILION, HOWE GREEN ROAD,

ON FRIDAY, 12th JANUARY 2018, AT 7.00 P.M.

 

Members present: Mr. N. Arthur (Chairman), Mr. S. Bardwell, Mr. S. Potter, Mr. G. Rayner, Mr. G. Strathern.

 

Also in attendance: Mrs. Jane Potter (Clerk).

 

Mr. John Archer and Miss Sue White (District Council Ward Members) attended the public session prior to the start of the meeting.

 

The meeting was not attended by any members of the pubic.

 

1/01/18 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

 

Apologies were received from Mr. C. Ash and Mr. B. Oliver who were unable to attend the meeting due to a prior personal engagement and ill health and from Mrs. Penny Channer (County Council Ward Member) who had a prior commitment.

 

2/01/18 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATIONS (Localism Act 2011)

 

There were no new declarations of interest made, nor were there any applications for dispensations from the provisions of the Localism Act 2011.

 

Members noted that the District Council had forwarded a new link for Members wishing to amend their Registers of Members’ interests.

 

3/01/18 THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF PURLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 8TH DECEMBER 2017 having been circulated to all Members, were approved, and then signed by the Chairman.

 

4/01/18 TO DISCUSS ANY MATTERS OF INFORMATION ARISING FROM THOSE MINUTES:

 

4.1/01/18 Clerk: 10.5/12/17 Minor Miscellaneous grants: Members noted the contents of thank you letters from the RNLI, Farleigh Hospice and Essex & Herts Air Ambulance for the donations made to these organisations at the December meeting. Copies of the thank you letters were placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

4.2/01/18 Members’: Members did not have any matters arising from the December 2017 meeting to discuss.

 

5/01/18 PLANNING MATTERS

 

5.1/01/18 Decisions taken between meetings: TCA/MAL/17/01433 T1 Sycamore - reduce height by 5m and sides proportionately. Turnstone, The Street, Purleigh.  Mr. J. Challis.

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

HOUSE/MAL/17/01324 Retrospective – Erection of front boundary wall. Cornlands, Hackmans Lane, Cock Clarks. Mr & Mrs J Hurley.

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

5.2/01/18 Current applications: FUL/MAL/17/00802 Retrospective – Siting of two (2) containers for agricultural use. Blackstone Farm, Lodge Lane, Purleigh. Ms. E. Padfield.

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED APPROVAL.

 

HOUSE/MAL/17/01468 & LBC/MAL/17/01469 New double storey extension and demolition of mid nineteenth century single storey extension as well as repair works to listed building. Eastcroft, Fambridge Road, Mundon. Mrs. Joan Carver (Ingatestone Developments).

 

The Parish Council RECOMMENDED REFUSAL on the following grounds:

 

  1. Members believed that developers should not be permitted to demolish any part of a Listed Building, which would set a dangerous precedent and was contrary to Policy D3 of the Local Development Plan under which the council was committed to giving great weight to the conservation of heritage assets such as Listed Buildings.

  2. Neither did the applicant supply a clear or convincing justification for the demolition of the listed extension, also contrary to Policy D3 of the Local Development Plan and guidance contained within the National Planning Policy Framework.

 

It was also agreed to ask the Parish Council’s District Council Ward Members to refer this application to the North Western Area Planning Committee should Officers recommend it be approved.

 

At this juncture District Councillors John Archer and Sue White, who were present, discussed current planning issues with Members, including the District Council’s controversial decision to abolish the parish trigger and its intention to stop sending out paper plans to Parish Councils from 1st April 2018.

 

5.3/01/18 Notification of appeals: Members noted that the Parish Council had not been notified of any Appeals or Appeal decisions between meetings.

 

5.4/01/18 Maldon District Council planning decisions: Members noted that Maldon District Council had APPROVED the following planning applications:

 

  • TCA/MAL/17/01280 T3. Willow – fell. The Old Gatehouse, The Street.

  • FUL/MAL/17/01190 Erection of replacement dwelling and garage following the demolition of existing dwelling and garage. Greenmead Cottage, Walton Hall Lane.

  • LBC/MAL/17/01070 Proposed extension to existing public house with internal and external alterations and replacement doors and windows. The Bell Public House, The Street.

 

And had REFUSED to grant planning permission for the following development:

 

  • FUL/MAL/17/01069 Proposed extension to existing public house with internal and external alterations and replacement doors and windows. The Bell Public House, The Street.

  • FUL/MAL/17/00962 Retain use of land for the stationing of caravans to accommodate temporary workers, ancillary to meat preparation, packing and storage and distribution premises. Land at Ben Rigby Game Ltd, Atherstone Lodge, Fambridge Road.

  • OUT/MAL/17/01129 Erection of two bungalows. Land at Pine Lodge, Junction Road, Cold Norton.

  • OUT/MAL/17/01126 Outline planning application for a second house of 4 bedrooms on the remaining part of the plot. Sunnyside, Cold Norton Road, Purleigh.

  • OUT/MAL/17/01191 Outline planning permission for the construction of replacement dwelling with details of layout, scale and means of access to be determined (appearance and landscaping reserved matters). Park House, Maldon Road, Latchingdon.

 

5.5/01/18 Maldon District Council’s plans to remove the parish trigger and stop providing paper plans to Parish Councils: Members noted that Woodham Walter, Langford & Ulting and Tillingham Parish Councils had joined Wickham Bishops and Purleigh in opposing the District Council’s plans.

 

5.6/01/18 Other planning matters: Complaint in relation to matters arising from a recent development at Primrose, Howe Green Road: The Parish Council received a copy of a complaint made by Smart Planning on the instructions of residents of Howe Green Road to Matt Leigh (Group Manager Planning Services, Maldon District Council) about recent development at this site and its consequences. A copy of the complaint was placed in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

Oakfield Farm, Hyde Chase, Purleigh: Members noted that Vikki Bowles (Corporate Fraud and Enforcement Officer, Maldon District Council) had informed the Parish Council that the District Council considered that there was no breach of planning control occurring at this site that the Council could act upon.

6/01/18 HIGHWAY MATTERS

 

6.1/01/18 Highway verge, The Street: Members noted that Jon Simmons (Essex Highways Highway Liaison Officer, Local Highway Panels: Chelmsford City and Maldon District) had agreed with the Parish Council that a joint site visit would help the discussion about improving the condition of the verge in The Street, and was happy to meet on site with representatives of the Parish Council. Members noted that Mr. Simmons had carried out a highway boundary search and had suggested some dates and times for the site meeting.

 

Members noted that Mr. Simmons had also requested that the Parish Council invited Mrs. Penny Channer to attend the joint site meeting in her capacity as County Council Ward Member.

 

It was agreed to ask Mr. Simmons to attend a site meeting on Thursday, 25th January 2018 at 9.00 a.m. Mr. Bardwell, Mr. Potter and Mr. Strathern agreed to attend on behalf of the Parish Council.

 

6.2/01/18 Diversion of Footpaths 4, 7 and 49 Purleigh and Footpath 8 Woodham Ferrers and Bicknacre: Essex County Council confirmed the above mentioned Orders. Members noted that the diversions had been made to reflect the routes of the paths currently being walked on the ground and to aid the management of farming activities. All the new paths proposed were to be 2 metres wide. The Parish Council had not objected to the new routes.

 

6.3/01/18 Other highway matters: Gravel on the pedestrian footpath in front of 18, The Glebe: The Parish Council received a complaint about gravel on the pedestrian footpath in front of 18, The Glebe, near the Bus Stop. Apparently this had already contributed to a personal injury accident and Members had been asked if there was anything the Parish Council could do to get the gravel removed before further accidents occurred.

 

The Chairman agreed to clear the footpath.

 

Highway maintenance issues: It was agreed to report the following highway maintenance issues to Essex County Council and to ask for the appropriate remedial work to be undertaken as soon as possible:

 

  • Damaged finger post at Pump Corner, CM3 6PF.

  • Collapsed gulley outside Brooklea, Cold Norton Road, CM3 6HP.

  • Pot hole in the vicinity of Ramblers Cottage, Chelmsford Road, CM3 6QP.

  • Incomplete directional sign outside 2, Silsons Cottages, Fambridge Road, CM9 6NH.

 

7/01/18 PLAYING FIELD AND OPEN SPACES

 

7.1/01/18 Children’s play area: Monthly report: In the absence of Mr. Ash no report was given.

 

7.2/01/18 Other playing field and open space matters: Parish Council groundsman: Members noted that Mr. Ovel had informed the Parish Council that he intended to retire, so a new contractor would have to be found.

It was agreed to invite anyone interested in taking over the work previously carried out by Mr. Ovel to contact the Parish Council for further details via the Parish Magazine.

Power Pillar in the vicinity of The Common, Howe Green Road: Members noted the concerns of residents about the possible installation of a power pillar on The Common, which they believed would be an eyesore and wholly out of character with the area.

It was agreed to monitor the situation.

Pavilion security: Mr. Bardwell provided the Parish Council with contact details for Barry Bros Security, a company who supplied master suited locks and keys. The Chairman agreed to provide Mr. Bardwell with the measurements of the pavilion door lock and the Clerk to provide him with the number of keys that would be required when the lock was changed and keys re-issued to improve security at the facilities, so that a quotation could be obtained for consideration at the February Parish Council meeting.

 

Members also discussed the advantages of issuing numbered keys to pavilion users to better control the keys’

whereabouts.

 

8/01/18 FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

8.1/01/18 Internal audit for the period 1st April 2017 to 31st December 2017: Members noted that the Chairman had conducted an audit for the period 1st April 2017 to 31st December 2017 at 10.00 a.m. on Friday, 12th January 2018. There had been no matters arising from the audit to report to the Parish Council.

 

8.2/01/18 To receive a Statement of Accounts for the period 1st April 2017 to 31st December 2017: Members received the following Statement of Accounts for the period 1st April 2017 to 31st December 2017:

 

Statement of Accounts:

 

Receipts: 

£83,095.70 Barclays Bank Plc:  

Expenditure

£44,107.31    Current account £1,714.45
   

   Business Premium Account

£21,937.41
   

   Historic Buildings Fund

£8,770.23
   

   Miss Pawsey’s Legacy

£6,516.30

 

________ Petty Cash £50.00

 

£38,988.39   £38,988.39

 

 

8.3/01/18 To carry out a financial review 2017/2018: The Parish Council also considered a detailed breakdown of income and expenditure for the period 1st April 2017 to 31st December 2017, together with estimated income and expenditure to the end of the financial year 2017/2018.

 

This review formed part of the Parish Council’s internal audit procedure.

 

8.4/01/18 To consider grant applications for the financial year 2018/2019 and set the parish precept 2018/2019:

 

To consider grant applications for the financial year 2018/2019: The Parish Council had not received any new grant applications for the financial year 2018/2019.

 

To set the parish precept 2018/2019: The Parish Council gave very careful consideration to forward estimates of income and expenditure for the financial year 2018/2019 which had been circulated to Members prior to the meeting. Members then noted details of the following items of income and expenditure which might be received and incurred in 2018/2019:

 

Anticipated Income 2018/2019: Pavilion and playing field hire charges: Members noted that the anticipated income from hire charges in 2018/2019 was less than that already received in the current financial year because the latter sum included £640 from South Woodham Ferrers Football Club which related to 2016/2017, and £400 from Maldon District Council for elections which would not be received again in 2018/2019.

 

Anticipated Expenditure 2018/2019: Open Spaces: Members noted and approved that as agreed at the December meeting (Minute 10.1/12/17) the sum of £1,000 had been set aside in the precept for the reinstatement of the verge in The Street opposite The Bell.

 

The sum of £1,000 had been removed from the budget towards flood alleviation in Maldon Road as the County Council hadn’t invited applications from Parish Councils for grants towards flood relief schemes in the current financial year.

 

Agency Services: Members noted and approved that as agreed at the December meeting (Minute 10.1/12/17) the sum of £367.20 had been set aside in the precept to pay for speed limit enforcement by Maldon District Council’s Community Protection Officers in the parish (one hour a month).

 

Maldon District Community Protection Officers - Parking Enforcement: Members noted and approved that the sum of £450 for continued parking enforcement in Pump Lane by the District Council’s Community Protection Officers had also been incorporated in the precept 2018/2019.

 

Pavilion and Playing Field: As agreed at the December meeting (Minute 10.1/12/17) Members noted and approved that the sum of £1,000 had been set aside in the precept towards the refurbishment of the Children’s Play Area (possibly for the purchase of four picnic tables plus installation).

 

Salaries: Members noted and approved that the Parish Council’s contribution rates to the Essex Pension Fund had been increased from 16.7% in 2017/2018 to 19.2% in 2018/2019 and that these would increase again in 2019/2020 to 21.7%.

 

General administration: Members noted and approved that the training budget 2018/2019 had been increased to allow for the courses already booked (£90 per delegate per day) plus an extra three days training e.g. Chairman’s training.

 

As agreed at the December meeting (Minute 10.1/12/17) Members noted and approved that the sum of £500 had been set aside in the precept to pay for the services of a Data Protection Officer.

 

As agreed at the December meeting (Minute 10.1/12/17) Members noted and approved that the sum of £210 had been set aside in the precept to pay for the printing of booklets commemorating Purleigh’s war dead and explaining the history of the war memorial to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. The author, Mr. Potter, would pay the remaining 50% of the cost.

 

Minor miscellaneous grants: Members noted that the Parish Council had allocated the sum of £120 from which to award minor miscellaneous grants in the precept 2018/2019, and as a result during the current financial year the sum of £40 had been donated to each of the following organisations: Essex & Herts Air Ambulance, Farleigh Hospice and the RNLI. All three organisations had on-going appeals for donations.

 

As agreed at the December meeting (Minute 10.1/12/17) the Parish Council agreed to increase its donation to the Royal British Legion for 2018/2019 only from £40 to £60 to pay for three additional small wreaths to be laid on the graves of soldiers buried in Purleigh who had given their lives in the First World War.

 

Referenda/Polls/Elections: Members noted that Parish Councils had been advised to set aside £1,500 in their budgets to cover the cost of unexpected elections, referenda and polls. It was agreed that no money should be set aside in the precept 2018/2019 for this purpose.

 

Purleigh Community Primary School: Members noted that a grant of £1,400 to Purleigh Community Primary School had been set aside in the precept 2018/2019 to subsidise the cost of swimming lessons for children living in the parish (the same amount as allocated in the current financial year). It was agreed not to release these funds in 2018/2019 unless the Parish Council was entirely satisfied that the whole amount was being used to subsidise swimming costs for Purleigh children. If the school couldn’t demonstrate this to Members’ satisfaction, the Parish Council would look to release the funds to the school piecemeal, in individual pupil’s names, once their parents had received invoices for school swimming costs from the school.

 

Creation of a container on the playing field for grass cuttings: It was agreed to set aside the sum of £500 in the precept 2018/2019 to pay for the creation of a suitable receptacle to store grass cuttings on the playing field if required. In the first instance the Parish Council would ask Purleigh Cricket Club, who deposited their grass cuttings in piles at the bottom of the playing field, to stop doing so, and to take their grass cuttings away after each cut, as the cuttings were encroaching onto the area intended for the refurbished play area and were unsightly. If the Cricket Club couldn’t arrange for the removal of their grass cuttings from the site after each cut, the Parish Council would provide a receptacle as above, provided the Cricket Club agreed to clear it out and remove all the rotted down material from it when necessary.

 

Installation of double yellow lines in The Street: It was agreed to set aside the sum of £300 in the precept 2018/2019 towards the installation of double yellow lines in The Street.

 

Tax Base:

Members noted that Maldon District Council had calculated the tax base figure for Purleigh 2018/2019 at 556.2 compared with 548.3 in 2017/2018.

 

The tax base had been calculated based on the number of Band ‘D’ equivalent properties in the area, and it was this figure which enabled the Parish Council to assess the impact of its precept on the local council tax.

 

If the total budget requirement in 2018/2019 remained £40,000, the following calculation would apply:

 

Precept 

£40,000.00

Taxbase ()

556.2

Parish Council Tax (Band D)

£71.92

 

Compared with £72.95 last year.

 

After a fully comprehensive discussion of estimated income and expenditure for the year 2018/2019, which took full account of the need to be prudent in the prevailing economic climate whilst maintaining current service provision and the need to support important parish initiatives,

 

Estimated expenditure 2018/2019 was calculated to be

£47,622.72

Less estimated income 2018/2019

£4,597.50

 

£43,025.22

 

Members noted that at this point in the current financial year the estimated balance brought forward as at 1st April 2018 would be approximately £10,400.00 compared with £4,900.00 the previous year.

 

Mr. Potter then proposed that the Parish Council precept for the sum of £40,000 for the financial year 2018/2019 with the shortfall in funding being taken from the estimated balance brought forward.

 

On being put to the vote Mr. Potter’s proposal that the Parish Council precept for the sum of £40,000 for the financial year 2018/2019 was carried unanimously.

 

Members noted that this would mean that a Band ‘D’ Council tax payer in Purleigh would pay a parish rate of £71.92 in 2018/2019 compared with £72.95 in 2017/2018, a decrease of £1.03 per annum.



The Responsible Financial Officer then signed the official precept form in this amount.

 

8.5/01/18 To receive a report of receipts: Members received a report of the following receipts:

 

Purleigh Croquet Club

Pavilion hire (2017 playing season)   £572.00
       

Barclays Bank Plc Interest:

     
 

Business Premium Account

£4.49  
 

Historic Buildings Fund

£1.54  
 

Miss Pawsey’s Legacy

£1.14  

 

    £7.17
       

Jane Potter

Contribution to Clerk’s telephone account   £70.00
      £649.17

 

 

8.6/01/18 To approve payment of accounts between meetings: Members noted and approved that the following accounts had been paid between meetings, adhering strictly to the procedures outlined in the Parish Council’s Financial Regulations 5.5.

British Telecom’ Plc

Telephone account (Direct Debit) £195.59  

 

VAT £39.12 £234.71
       

Anglian Water Business Ltd

Sewerage charges re: Pavilion   £95.84

 

    £330.55

 

 

8.7/01/18 To approve payment of accounts to hand and transfers between bank accounts: It was unanimously agreed to approve payment of the following accounts to hand:

Mrs. Jane Potter

Salary – December 2017 £1,226.00  

 

Less tax £39.00  
 

National Insurance

£65.52  
 

And Pension Contributions

£71.11  

 

    £1,050.37
       

H.M. Revenue & Customs 

Tax £39.00  
 

National Insurance (employees)

£65.52  
 

National insurance (employers)

£75.35  

 

    £179.87
       

Essex Pension Fund

Employee contributions    
 

(5.8% pensionable pay)

£71.11  
 

Employer contributions

   
 

(16.7% pensionable pay)

£204.74  
 

Administration charge

   
 

(8% employee contributions)

£5.69  

 

    £281.54
       

Mrs. R. Dilworth

Pavilion cleaning – December 2017    

 

20 hours @ £7.50 per hour   £150.00
       

Purleigh Community

Grant towards school swimming costs for    

   Primary School 

Purleigh pupils 2017 season   £1,400.00
       

J.P. Ovel

Work in the parish August - December    
 

11 ½ hours @ £15 per hour

£172.50  
 

Petrol

£5.00  

 

    £177.50
       

RBS Invoice Finance Ltd

Photocopying £11.10  

 

VAT £2.22  

 

    £13.32
       

R. Rapley

Website maintenance:    

 

October to December 2017   £65.00
       

EALC Course fees:

     
 

Data Protection Regulations (Clerk)

£45.00  
 

Councillor training day one (Colin Ash)

£90.00  

 

    £135.00
       

Mrs. J. Potter

Petty cash reimbursement    

 

Postage   £10.84
       

RBS Invoice Finance Ltd

Cleaning products (pavilion) £128.30  

 

VAT £25.66  

 

    £153.96

 

    £3,617.40

 

 

 

 

Transfers: Members noted and approved the following bank transfer:

 

  1. On 9th January 2018 the sum of £3,043.99 had been transferred from the Business Premium Account (80731099) to the Community Current Account (40731099) to cover payment of the accounts to be paid at the Parish Council meeting held on 12th January 2018 and leave approximately £1,500 in the current account.

 

Bank reconciliation as at 31st December 2017: A bank reconciliation for the period 1st April 2017 to 31st December 2017 was carried out by the Chairman and approved by the Parish Council. See Statement of Accounts above (Minute 8.2/01/18).

 

9/01/18 CORRESPONDENCE

 

East London Textiles Ltd working with Essex and Herts Air Ambulance

Members considered a request from John Latour (Charity Relations Manager) East London Textiles Ltd, which had been verified with Essex & Herts Air Ambulance, to place a clothing donation bank in the pavilion car park so that members of the public could donate their unwanted clothing and shoes to raise funds for the Essex & Herts Air Ambulance.

 

It was agreed that as the Parish Council didn’t have a public space suitable to site a clothing donation bank, the matter should be referred to Purleigh Village Hall’s Management Committee.

 

Essex County Council

Ward Members’ report: Cllr. Channer provided the Parish Council with a report on the recent work of Essex County Council which was put in the circulation folder for Members’ information.

 

Superfast Broadband: In response to a request from a parishioner, the Clerk agreed to forward Mr. Strathern a link where the latest information about the roll out of superfast broadband in the parish could be located. Members reiterated the decision taken at the December meeting (Minute 10.1/12/17) that the Parish Council would not spend any money on this project in 2018/2019.

 

10/01/18 POINTS OF INFORMATION

 

Members did not have any points of information to share.

 

CRIME AND DISORDER ACT 1988 (SECTION 17)

 

Consideration was given to the crime and disorder implications of all decisions made at this meeting.

 

There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.45 p.m.